Fall bluegills

10/3/15 @ 12:42 PM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Ok. Now that the temps are dropping the panfish habits will begin to change dramatically. In years past I would fish deep areas (35-50 fow) near drop offs for suspended fish and did rather well. Last year, on a tip, I targeted piers with some vegetation still around and did pretty well. Not a lot of fish, but good size. I was wondering what some of you do as we transition to winter and ice fishing. Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
12/15/15 @ 5:14 PM
1up
1up
USER since 7/22/06
got 2 limits today in Wi 8ft by weeds

Post Your Comment
10/15/15 @ 8:41 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
I have caught big panfish during late fall in 1-3 ft of rocky shoreline, 12-15 ft featureless flats and a small hump in 30 ft of water , all on the same day on the same lake. The crappie were both next to the rocks and wood along shore and suspended over the 30ft main lake hump. So I guess they can be anywhere!

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 8:32 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
We found average Blue Gill (8") in 5 to 7' of water near shorelines in weedy areas. We ended up finding Crappie in 7' of water and didn't care about gills anymore this weekend. We would get a gill every now and then but crappie were on fire so when in Rome, do as the Romans do. We are having pan-fried crappie today as a matter of fact.

Post Your Comment
10/8/15 @ 5:28 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I will be fishing my normal haunts this weekend in Oneida county and will report where we found them.

Post Your Comment
10/6/15 @ 6:59 PM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
I like to focus on deep structure or weeds and docks but usually deep structure..

Post Your Comment
10/4/15 @ 12:43 AM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
Probably really depends on the body of water you are fishing. Every lake has different depth, weed growth, etc. The flowage I fish every fall I usually find them either deep on breaklines, like 12-16 FOW, or on docks or laydowns that are shallow but very near deep water on the drop off.

Post Your Comment
10/3/15 @ 9:51 PM
Fishin AGAIN!!
Fishin AGAIN!!
USER since 11/20/14
Try anything that will warm the water! Lilly pads, shallow weeds, dark docks. Fishing deep never hurts either.

Post Your Comment