DNR panfish management

8/28/14 @ 11:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
bluegi77
bluegi77
USER since 11/24/13
any interest in the panfish meetings this September? seems to me the dnr's list of lakes to be managed includes some lakes in central Wis that will really don't need to be messed with.
Edited on 8/28/14 11:05 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
2/12/16 @ 11:16 AM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
After rereading the draft plan I took this all as the plan for the plan. I went to the Waukesha meeting on this and there were not many answers. The best thing in the plan was the trend chart. There is pretty clear evidence that improvements in stock occurred when we reduced bag limits; however, we do not know what other conditions had an affect.

Post Your Comment
2/12/16 @ 10:26 AM
stl ken
stl ken
USER since 2/22/10
According to the surveys, it's about a 50/50 split on reducing limits or not. Why doesn't the DNR select certain lakes for lower limits on panfish, minimum length on crappie, etc. They already have lakes with minimum length on bass, pike musky, and trout, but not panfish, the most fished for and harvested. Personally I prefer to fish for SMB on lakes with a 18" minimum , they are larger and I don't keep them anyway. And I would rather keep 10 crappie 10" long than 25 that are7-8". But I'm sure others have different ideas so leave most lakes the way they are. Otherwise, the DNR can start a panfish initiative

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 11:15 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
Little bit of an old thread, but lets get this fired back up.

Anyone else attending one of these panfish management plan meetings?

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/outreach/panfishplan.html

Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 12:12 PM
frideyschld
frideyschld
MEMBER since 8/16/10
UL.....Well said and articulated.

Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 12:12 PM
frideyschld
frideyschld
MEMBER since 8/16/10
UL.....Well said and articulated.

Post Your Comment
9/4/14 @ 10:13 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
If I could make a rule it would be on odd number years crappie fishing be closed/catch release from ice out till the 2nd weekend of june. With a 15 fish limit statewide.

Post Your Comment
9/3/14 @ 5:40 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
some lakes would have a "no more than 5" clause that does seperate between bluegill, sunfish, and pumpkin seed.

you already have lakes with reduced bag limits where people catch the reduced limit then fill the rest of their daily state limit on another lake. heck there are connected lakes with different bag limits. its about individual lake management.

i havent really thought too much about this yet... but my initial concern is kids fishing and having trouble with ID or confusing bag limits. i bluegill fish quite a bit but honestly this is all about kids fishing too. most of us probably learned this great sport by bluegill fishing. i think this would be a great opportunity for the DNR to create a "fishing education" class much like hunter ed or any of the others. these things and more could be covered.

Post Your Comment
9/3/14 @ 3:30 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Ol Sarge-

The sorting is by species- whereby sunfish are all considered one species. In other words, 15 sunfish of any type, not 15 bluegills, 15 pumpkinseeds, etc.

Then you could catch some perch (which would be considered a separate species) and some crappies (which are considered separate).

So, no sorting of the type you are afraid of.

Post Your Comment
9/3/14 @ 1:38 PM
wale
wale
USER since 2/12/13
What they are trying to do with the limits are going way to hard to remember and well it still wont stop people from getting there limit of one species and going to another lake to get there limit there? they really aren't helping fishing? I wont rather see just any decrease on the limit like only 10 or 15 panfish. that is more than enough fish for family or whatever.

Post Your Comment
9/2/14 @ 8:42 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Really? You want people to sort panfish by species (Blue Gill/Sun Fish/ Pumpkinseed ect). This is getting to be stupid. If management is that much of an issue, enforce the exsisting laws and hammer the guys who are violating them. I mostly do catch and release, but if I want to keep a limit for a fry, my license allows me to do that. I just think all of this management is getting out of control and will in the end ruin the sport for the average joe who not use all of the fancy equipmet to find fish. The photo of the Pumpkinseed was taken last Saturday and is still swimming. It was caught on a small lake with a 25 per day limit. Just enfocre the current laws.

Edited on 9/2/14 8:45 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts