Wi. musky lakes

2/18/15 @ 10:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
gusgus
gusgus
USER since 6/24/09
I'm a senior citizen muskie fisherman and can't afford a fishing trip to Canada. I do try to get away to northern Wi. for a week every year if iI can. What are the three best Wi. lakes for muskies in your opinion? I'm not talking a trophy lake but one with action and reasonable accomodations. Thanks, Gus-Gus!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/22/15 @ 3:36 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Hey gusgus, turn on your messenger.

Post Your Comment
2/21/15 @ 6:10 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09
2nd the spider lake, teal, lost land, and namekogen lake area. Good action and some quite lake areas. All in the Sawyer county. Don't forget moose, ghost, and clam chain. Trophies are in round, grindstone, lco,flowage, sis, and whitefish.

Post Your Comment
2/21/15 @ 11:20 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
I second what Vegas said about eagle river chain. There's plenty of fish and plenty of lakes connected. I've been up early June and the boat traffic was not bad at all, but you would probably want to check tournament dates because there will be alot of boats then. For a guide I would recommend jeff van remotely in that area. Not real sure about lodging, I always just stay at a friends cabin. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
2/21/15 @ 9:02 AM
gusgus
gusgus
USER since 6/24/09
Thanks for the input so far. You're right, muskie nut, I can't afford Rob or his resort. Also the cabins on Wildcat lake start at about $1500.00 for the week which is twice my budget. Has anyone stayed at Yadro's Getaway cabin on the Eagle River chain? The price is great but I wonder about the cabin. Thanks again, Gus-Gus!

Post Your Comment
2/19/15 @ 8:05 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
If he could book Rob for a day or two, he could afford a trip to Canada.

On the other side of the state, I like Namakagon or if you want quite lakes, Lost Land and Teal would also be a good choice with their 10mph speed limit.

Edited on 2/19/15 8:06 AM
Post Your Comment
2/19/15 @ 7:28 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Gus-Gus,

If you just want to catch a few muskies and be on a beautiful lake, try looking for lodging on Wildcat Lake near Boulder Junction. I know there is a nice resort of Big Kitten, which connects to Wildcat. Tons of muskies in there, but I'd say that it isn't known as trophy water, rather it is known as an action lake. Good walleyes and crappies in there, too.

Another good action lake is the Eagle River Chain. Get up there in mid-June and throw topwater on the shorelines, any lake, and you will get fish. Tons of fish in that Chain. And there are more than a few good sized ones in there now, too. Drawback to that is boat traffic during the peak tourist season. Tons of lodging there, too.

Lastly, if you want a good, fun week. Check out Rob Manthei's place in St. Germain. I think it is the St. Germain Lodge and Resort. Then book Rob for a day or two, early in your trip. You will catch some fish, have a great resort and then you can hunt larger fish on Big Saint or Little Saint, or re-fish spots that you fished with Rob.

Good luck to you!

Post Your Comment