What did you learn in 2015?

11/10/15 @ 5:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I have been at this game a LONG time and every year is different, and it is amazing how a guy can learn something every year. With that said what did you guys learn or get reminded of from things you may have learned from previous years that you can share? For me it was. 1. Boat traffic doesn't seem to bother/affect fish feeding as much as it bothers the fishermen. 2. I also believe you do better fishing smarter versus fishing harder. I can't wait until next year. Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
1/20/16 @ 9:52 PM
Adam@HonestMusky
Adam@HonestMusky
USER since 1/20/16
I certainly agree with fishing smarter not harder. My seasons are also highly variable. I try to concentrate on picking where and how I fish based on weather and water conditions to put the odds of success in my favor. This season I reaffirmed the effects of fishing pressure and how nice it is to get away from it. In late fall and early winter this year I enjoyed fishing for active frigid water muskies. No matter how much I do it, it always amazes me just how active muskies can be in 34-37 F water.

Thanks

Adam Glickman

Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 7:03 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Great feedback guys, much better than previous years. Keep it coming and have a good day. Smile

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 10:08 PM
wack'em & stack'em
wack'em & stack'em
USER since 3/13/10
Maybe I should do some upper body work out before making 10,000 casts

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 11:40 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
why do you think people invented solunar charts? to give themselves a mental excuse to get refocused on casting.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 5:53 PM
Skate_or_Fish
Skate_or_Fish
USER since 3/30/15
One thing I kept telling myself no matter how long I went without seeing a fish this season was "It's gonna happen". There is no way, no mater how many times I cast, even if it doesn't happen sun up to sun down, will there never be another fish. Does that make sense? There will always be another follow, another strike and another in the bag. It's just a matter of time. Every year I learn new patience and we all know how much of a mental struggle musky hunting is. Focus has been the theme for a lot of posts here and I couldn't agree more. Of all of the devastation I have burned into my memory from missing fish, a big portion of it has to do with being distracted or just plain not ready. So that for me was the big one this year. Stay focused as if there is a fish behind every cast and never give up.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 5:25 PM
Recon_Musky
Recon_Musky
USER since 12/30/15
After reading Tom Gelb he said to keep a figure 8 going as long as you can even after the fish has so called "left" the boat. I got a 47.5 after 2.5 mins of 8'ING after i couldnt see it anymore you can see it in the video I made of my 2015 season high lights

http://youtu.be/DToPhNRYOkg

Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 10:31 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
The other thing I learned was get a terrova. best piece of gear I own. whether trolling, casting, sucker fishing a terrova will give you the best boat control. boat control equals more fish. plus better boat control with less attention to boat control. in the past I ran the trolling motor by foot....i spend a lot less time fishing because of it. for trolling it is the best thing there is. hands free control and speed control.

Question - I have not landed a figure eight fish since I got autopilot (two seasons now) and I think it is because the motor is blowing into the fishes face and spooks them. In the past i would disengage motor as I focused on figure eight. I used to have a pretty good conversion rate before I got autopilot.

Has anyone else experienced similar effects?

Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 10:28 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
With the extended season this year because of warmer december weather, I learned some new spots because many of my favorite fall spots had the weeds completely die off... I did not land any fish in these new spots, but I am positive I will in future.

At some point though, finding new spots needs to translate into new fish!

Post Your Comment
12/13/15 @ 8:48 AM
esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
USER since 4/24/08
I learned I spent to much time chasing muskies so I'm going to sell everything I own.

Post Your Comment
12/11/15 @ 6:30 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
The other thing I learned was get a terrova. best piece of gear I own. whether trolling, casting, sucker fishing a terrova will give you the best boat control. boat control equals more fish. plus better boat control with less attention to boat control. in the past I ran the trolling motor by foot....i spend a lot less time fishing because of it.

for trolling it is the best thing there is. hands free control and speed control.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts