Trolling depth charts for Musky Lures

9/24/14 @ 8:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
shawn114
shawn114
USER since 9/30/13
I am new to trolling for musky on Green Bay, I have a number of crank baits and bucktails but have no idea how many feet back to run them from the boards. I there a rule of thumb to the cranks? and for bucktails would I use a keel weight and bury the rod in the water? Any help would be awesome. Thanx, Shawn
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
5/31/15 @ 5:54 PM
Walter Krause
Windmill99
USER since 5/22/15
There are couple of good lure / depth / line out books. The first addition iof musky mikes trolling secrets is out of print but the second addition is sold through drifter tackle. It is a very good book with all the common Muskie lures. The first addition has a couple lures that are not in the first addition and the second addition has lures that are not in the first. I have both and it is very helpful in positioning your lures to the depth of the bait fish.

Walter's Fishing Guide Service
(618) 972-5584
Post Your Comment
10/2/14 @ 1:52 AM
Trophy_Taker
Trophy_Taker
USER since 4/27/08
Super Shad Rap

30lb mono plus leader length...17ft to get down 2ft 36ft to get down 4ft 60ft to get down 6ft

Get Mike's Trolling book, helps out a lot with depth curves. Worth the money, I bought the electronic version for my iphone 5.

Post Your Comment
9/25/14 @ 7:34 PM
shawn114
shawn114
USER since 9/30/13
Thank Musky Nut for the insight, sorry my post was very vague, I was needing help with the Rapala super shad rap SSR-14, storm dbl jointed crank, and shallow raiders, and depth raider. was hoping there was some depth curves to these style lures. I did some research on bucktails watching some videos trolling the bay so that helped. Is there any videos or youtube videos that anyone knows about that I should watch and research?

Thank You for any help,

Shawn

Post Your Comment
9/25/14 @ 1:38 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Nothing beats time on the water running different things.

When I was trying to learn how to troll with my boat, baits and equipment, I took out a notebook and noted when baits hit bottom at different speeds and different line lengths.

I would think for the Bay you could do that. Get those bucktails ticking weeds. Get those shallow cranks doing the same. Shouldn't take too long to figure out.

But that book mentioned earlier, that thing will greatly cut down the learning curve.

Good luck.

Post Your Comment
9/25/14 @ 9:46 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
USER since 6/26/01
I by no means an expert on trolling, I prefer to cast. If you want more info that you know what to do with it, pose your question on Muskies 1st after you do a search. Those guys will give you all kind of answers. But I would suggest that you limit your question to one area that you most need help with to have answered. That way its more understandable for you and other following the discussion.

i.e.- what cranks and how deepfor Green Bay? This way you get details on that subject matter and if you have question you can ask follow up questions. Then later you pose one about the bucktails, etc. To ask broad questions like you did here, daunts the person that would like to help you out and they say screw it, I don't have the time to type all that out.

Good luck.

Post Your Comment
9/24/14 @ 10:18 PM
shawn114
shawn114
USER since 9/30/13
I bought the musky hunter app and it is worthless, threw $10 in the drain. I have yet to find a solidified answer to this and all the other places I have looked online come up zero

Post Your Comment
9/24/14 @ 9:22 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
USER since 6/26/01
Muskie Hunter has an app for various muskie baits and speeds.

muskytrollingsecrets.com

or get Mike's Trolling Secrets in a ebook

Mikes Trolling Ebook Click Here

I there a rule of thumb to the cranks? Use smaller than normal

for bucktails would I use a keel weight Not really, but use quality components

bury the rod in the water? Yes, if there are floating weeds in the area

Any help would be awesome. Get involved with Muskies, Inc and have someone show you the ropes or hire a guide, it will be money well spent

Edited on 9/24/14 9:28 PM
Post Your Comment