SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Tony Rizzo passes away

9/19/18 @ 10:36 AM
INITIAL POST
Quester
User since 1/28/07

I heard one of the great musky fishers passed away yesterday!   R.I.P.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
11/3/18 @ 1:16 PM
The Muskie Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/02

My family and friends had the pleasure and honor of fishing with Tony Rizzo, at his Silver Musky Resort, on Star Lake, Ballard and Irving, in the early '70's.  I always believed he had a special gift and connection with fishing no one else did, especially for Musky's!  He loved musky fishing!  He would do shore-lunch for customers who requested it, but he thought it wasted precious time on the water.  Instead, he'd much rather bring a sandwhch, and eat lunch, in the boat so he more time to fish!  A true gentlemen, sportsmen, educator and teacher and one of the last of the great old time Northwoods guides!  He showed and taught us how to tie the right knot, set a hook, aways do a figure eight at the boat and work for a fish, anyone who knew Tony knows, 'boy, did he work for a fish!'  And so did you! A day of casting with Tony in his boat, and you where beat, but you loved it!  Now more ever is why getting filmed interviews, old film, photos, stories etc., from folks like, Tom Gelb, Al Linder, Larry Ramsell and Tony's archives, friends and customers, and a few other guides, is so important to save and preserve this legacy they lived, love and shared with all of us while we still can!  Tony was always at the top of that list!  Thank you Tony!  Everytime I look across a lake, you will be remembered!  (Folks like Jim Saric and Pete Mania should be all over this project!)   

10/1/18 @ 8:12 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05
I never got to meet Tony. Always wanted to. I'm a big fan of his books. Rest in peace, Tony Rizzo.
9/28/18 @ 12:04 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

He was either the last, or one of the last left from that era.

Amazing man.  

I grew up about 10 miles away from Tony.  He always had time to give this kid some advice and a lure or two.  He helped me learn how to fish these things and was never short on information that he would share with me.  

The thing I remember most about him....the respect he gave ever fisherman that he ever met.  He was friendly on the water and off of the water.  Truly a great fisherman and a great person.  He will be missed greatly.

Quick little Rizzo story...I took my old man fishing a lake that Tony told me to fish...and I was using lures and tactics that Tony showed me.  We pull up, drop our boat in the water, get to the first spot, and there is Tony with a customer.  It is a smaller lake and we spent the next 4 hours following him around the lake about 300 yards behind him.  We had a great day.  Saw fish, missed fish and landed 3.  It was one of those great days to be on the water with your father.

At the launch, Tony waited for us and came over to talk about the day.  They saw fish, but didn't boat anything.  He saw we were doing well and wanted to congratulate us.  That was Tony.  He waited for us at the launch to congratulate us.  Great man.

9/24/18 @ 10:04 AM
KenK
User since 6/19/01

Tony was born in Chicago and moved to Star Lake in his twenties.  Not sure if he had relatives in the Kenosha area, but there is a large Italian community there.

9/23/18 @ 10:40 AM
REBel Fishing
User since 7/7/16

I spent the last three Musky show seasons listening to Tony's seminars and chating with him.  His booth was always across the isle from ours in Wausau, he always made time to chat with folks and share his knowledge. He will be missed. RIP.

9/20/18 @ 8:37 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Thanks!  83 would be too young . Probably a close relative.  Thanks for input.    CARPIO 

9/20/18 @ 4:05 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

When I was very young in the mid 40 s and living in Kenosha there was a man named Tony Rizzo. One day he had a long wooden box filled with sawdust and ice.in it he had a huge fish ( musky?) I’ve always followed the Tony Rizzos fishing adventures in paper print in the my adult years wondering if the two Rizzos were related, or the same person.If he was the same he would have to be about 100. Anyone know anything?    CARPIO 

9/19/18 @ 12:18 PM
KenK
User since 6/19/01

Absolutely horrible news! He was great from a by-gone era. Me and my boys were lucky enough to be invited to his home a few years ago and spent the afternoon listening to his stories in his trophy room. It was amazing that he could recall all of the circumstances of every musky picture he showed us. God speed Tony!

9/19/18 @ 12:05 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

That is sad news.  He was definitely ahead of his time back in the day (70's, early 80's).  He figured alot of things out with crappy electronics and trial and error. 

RIP Tony 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE