SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Tipping your guide...

6/14/18 @ 5:51 PM
INITIAL POST
smithmerlin
User since 1/20/13

Is it done? If so, under what circumstances do you tip your guide?  What do you consider an appropriate amount to give?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
7/7/18 @ 9:30 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

Unless the guide is a real jerk, which has never happened with me, I ALWAYS tip the guide. 

6/18/18 @ 8:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I usually tip.  The amount depends on how much I learned from the guide and how many fish he helped me put in the boat.  The learning part is more important.

I was at a lodge in Canada last week and we were guided 3 days.  We had a phenomenal day on the water with our first guide and we gave him a very nice tip.  Turns out that we drew his name the next day and he went out of his way to make the 2nd day better than the first.  It may have been the best day I've ever had fishing.  Needless to say, he got another generous tip.  We wanted to spend our third guided day chasing lake trout.  It just so happened that our guide from the previous two days was one of the lodge's experts on a lake about 45 minutes from the lodge that had an abundant population of lakers so we were with him again.  He had us on fish within 5 minutes and it was non-stop action all day.  We went almost an hour past when we were supposed to get back to the lodge for supper.  Every day was a 100+ fish day with multiple trophy-sized fish.  I don't doubt that he would have shown us a great time had we tipped him less but I think the tips we gave greased the wheels for an outstanding effort on his part.  He even showed me a way to debone pike that I've never seen before.  Did you know that you can zip the y-bones out with one cut?

As with anything in life, you get what you pay for.

6/17/18 @ 9:51 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I am a guide but not a musky guide and never expect to get a tip. HOWEVER it is always appreciated. I always go the extra mile and try to give the biggest bang for their buck.  It is amazing the people that tip are usually your easiest clients. I guide quite a bit however I could not live from the money I make guiding. By the time you figure the cost of equipment, fuel and the real biggie insurance. The profit line is pretty thin. I personally get my payment when you see a young person eyes light when they catch a fish. Or you have someone that has never caught a fish. The best ones that hold a spinning rod upside down and reel backwards and try to convince you that you do it wrong.

I don't fish much when guiding. I will however if the fishing is slow pick up a rod and make a few casts. I do that to see if the fish are indeed biting and my clients are just missing the bite.  

Bottom Line if you had a good time do what you feel is right. We always appreciate anything. 

6/17/18 @ 8:50 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

I have always tipped every guide. That was just how I was taught. I just tipped more depending on the guides service. Not related to how many fish were caught or things of that nature. I based it on how well he relayed information,personality helped,and attentiveness to providing a good day on the water in general. 

Usually applied the typical 10-15% rule of gratuity. There are plenty of people who think that the guides are making a bunch of money etc and they really don’t for the most part. Remember they are making a living and some only are on the water for 1/2 a year. Not that is our problem but I just know a few that are barely making it work for themselves. 

6/16/18 @ 8:05 AM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10

If your guide is the owner/proprietor if the guide service you shouldn’t feel compelled to tip.  Now if your guide trip was above and beyond in terms of the fishing, the stories and the knowledge shared a 10-15% tip is warranted.   

If your guide works for the guide service you hired a 10-20% tip is normal.  These guys usually split the guide fee with the proprietor/Owner.  Many times they have their own services as well and you may find times to hire them direct 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE