Take a Year Off?

1/7/16 @ 12:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
has anyone taken a full year (willingly) off from Musky fishing to pursue other fall fishing opportunities? I have toyed with the idea every year but can never stay away. I have always thought if I got a big fish early fall or summer, I could possibly stomach the idea.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
1/8/16 @ 5:07 PM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Absolutely:

I have found that if you do too many things you don't do a good job at any of them. So I have taken time off to go to (Alaska Moose Hunting 4 times, Elk Hunting in various states, & Caribou Hunting in Northern Quebec several times. It is tough to get in the shape you need to be for these things without dedicating some time. I am sure glad I took the time for those great experiences. Smile

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 2:38 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I had same experience. I thought end of November - December would have been good.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 12:44 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
I wouldn't take a year off...but what i will tell you is that this was a great oct and early nov...then a grind afterwards. i should have focused on something else when the fishing slow down. by the end of december I wasn't really enjoing being on the water.

oh well. next year.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 1:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I take years off from certain hobbies frequently. I'm sort of obsessive when it comes to new things that end up becoming hobbies and I burn myself out on them within a few years. Taking time off to pursue something else or something new usually gets me excited to do the old stuff again. I only ice fished 4 times last year and that consisted of putting 3 tip ups out on the ice and watching them from the recliner in the cabin while watching TV. I'm headed north in 2 hours and plan to hit some of my early-ice walleye spots this weekend. I have the flasher and jig rod all ready to go and I'm pretty excited for it.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 1:04 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
For me it wouldn't be possible to take an entire year off due to keeping the tradition of a few trips with friends alive. In the past I have simply stopped muskie fishing for a bunch of weeks after getting burned out on it. 10ish years ago I burned the candle at both ends way too hard and it wasn't fun anymore. Something like 45 consecutive days fishing in a row interrupted by a day of severe weather and then followed that up with another 30-35 days in a row. The following year I started out doing the same but then reached my breaking point and did other things. When a hobby you love turns into something that feels like a job it loses it's appeal and that's what happened.

Since then things are much better balanced and I don't fish as much as I used to. This past year I was ready for lakes to be frozen by about June 15th. My ideal seasons would be a long ice season leading into a long maple syrup season then about two months of open water and right back into winter. The longer the ice season and maple syrup seasons are the better.

Post Your Comment