Revo Toro NaCl

4/12/15 @ 2:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ihuntandfish
Ihuntandfish
USER since 5/30/08
Hey guys, I picked up a Revo Toro NaCl baitcasting reel for the upcoming season. This will be my first 'musky' baitcasting reel and I was doing some practicing on the yard with a .5oz weight. Typically on my bass reels I adjust the centrifugal brake until the lure slowly falls. On this reel I need to crank the brake tight almost to the point of locking it up before I can get the weight to hang without falling. With the brake tight I still am getting a lot of backlashes. I set all 6 of the brakes to their 'out' position (see picture) so I am afraid that when I tie on a 2 or 3oz musky bait I'm gonna have all kinds of backlash problems. My bass reels (Lew's tournament pros) have much more breaking force than this reel so I feel like something is wrong. Do any of you have this reel or can offer any insight?
Edited on 4/12/15 2:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
4/16/15 @ 1:14 PM
AChotrod
AChotrod
USER since 9/8/13
Nacls are awesome and have very few back lashes, I think you are just using to light of a weight. I own 5 NACLs and its the same with all of them. Just yesterday I was casting spinner baits into the wind and didnt have a single lash.

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 10:27 PM
David Matysik
Badger Reel Repair
MEMBER since 6/9/10
In the center of the black piece I can see the fiber washer, part 61 (1125770) on your schematic, in your picture. Under the fiber washer there should be another piece, part 62 (1125771) rubber washer. Use the pin to pop the fiber washer out and see if the rubber washer is in there.

(262) 582-3099
Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 9:06 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
IMO it's fine you're just not used to the larger musky reel with heavy baits. If you're worried take it to where you bought it and have them look at another NaCL on the rack to show you the cast control washers are the same as yours.

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 8:26 PM
Ihuntandfish
Ihuntandfish
USER since 5/30/08
Thank you very much for the help guys. I took the reel apart today and looked at the washers. Everything looks OK on the opposite side of the handle, but I'm not sure I'm seeing the washers before the cast control dial. When I pull off the cap, there are two pieces that come off with it (a round 'spring' and a black spacer... See picture). I'm not sure where the washers would be unless they're way deep inside the black piece. On the other side I see another black spacer and then the spool shaft. Does this look like I'm missing pieces or should I be looking somewhere else. Thanks again for the help!

Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 10:25 PM
David Matysik
Badger Reel Repair
MEMBER since 6/9/10
You should be able to slow the bait down with the cast control cap. If you cannot slow or stop the bait from falling you may be missing one, or more, of the spacers. There is one spacer under the bearing on the side opposite the handle. If you remove the side plate that keeps the spool in and remove the retainer and bearing you should see a fiber spacer. On the other side, if you remove the cast control cap and look in the center of the cap you will see a fiber spacer. Under the fiber spacer there should be another spacer that has a hole in it. Be careful taking out the first fiber spacer. You have to pluck it out with something pointed and they can fly and get lost easily. They are tiny. If any of the spacers are missing your cast control cap will have no effect. If the reel is under warranty, take it back.

(262) 582-3099
Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 6:14 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I have one of those and was able to achieve the slow lure fall method right out of the box. May want to consider exchanging it.

Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 5:34 PM
Ihuntandfish
Ihuntandfish
USER since 5/30/08
You're right, some of the backlash could be due to the weight being too light. It does have a cast control knob (no magnetic brake though) But what concerns me the most is that I have the cast control tightened almost to 'lock up'and the weight still almost falls to the ground. With a musky bait, that lures gonna plummet to the ground even with the knob completely tight. That seems very odd to me. I suppose with all the brakes off you wouldn't know, but do you know if your brakes would tighten enough to allow a heavy bait to hang or fall slowly?

Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 3:06 PM
KenK
KenK
USER since 6/19/01
I don't own one, but does it have a cast control knob too like most baitcasting reels? You may have to adjust that also.

Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 12:26 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
With a 1/2 oz lure you are probably "snapping" the rod to cast the light lure, with heavier lures you more "lob" the lure. On my musky reels (mainly Toros) I have all the centrifugal brakes shut off and just thumb the spool. I've found casting heavy lures is much easier than the light one.

Post Your Comment