MORE
Musky Fishing

Reels

3/4/19 @ 9:49 AM
INITIAL POST
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11

Thinking of buying a Shimano Tranx 400 hg for throwing cowgirls and bulldogs.. Any advice

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
6/21/19 @ 3:37 PM
Fish repellent
Fish repellent
User since 2/4/14

Check out the Abu reels too. I have a revo Toro 51 that's around 8 years old, pretty sweet reel, smooth with 25# drag. Abu has the Revo Toro 2 S50/51 on sale on their website for $160. I think I paid around $250 for mine, I tried to block the price out of my memory. Otherwise i have around 10 shimano baitcasters from curado b's through conquests. I'm really impressed with the Abu though, still has a silky smooth retrieve.

6/11/19 @ 1:34 PM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11

Vegas I love the Tranx reel. Thinking of getting one more.

3/11/19 @ 10:53 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Congrats!  Let us know how it works for yah when the time comes!

3/11/19 @ 8:32 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11

Vegas.....I bought the tranx 400 hg. Thanks again for your advice. Now if the darn snow would go so I can get my boat trailer steps put on I would be a little happier. Got a trip to Minnesota next week ice fishing perch.....Im ready for snow to melt away.

3/4/19 @ 5:47 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I hear yah.  I picked up a bunch of new lures and need to start the process of getting rid of baits I just don't use.  

If you get that Tranx 400HS and don't like it, there will be a good market for it out there in the musky community.  It is a very hot reel right now.  And...you asked about bulldogs.  It'll pick up that line nicely.  In fact, if you don't like it, PM me.  I'd probably grab it from you.

Shimano customer service is very, very good, too in case it ever needs some work.  I had a faulty TE that they fixed at no charge.  Now it is flawless.

3/4/19 @ 5:12 PM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11

Thanks for the advice. have some time to think which one to get. After musky banquet yesterday pumped to GO

3/4/19 @ 3:28 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I own a Tranx 400HG and the regular gear.  Both are great.  The HG comes with the power handle, so it'll crank it those larger bucktails nicely.  Their regular gar (400 Tranx) is also very good at this.  The reels are very, very smooth and fit the hand nicely.

But here is my word of advice, concerning getting any new reel.  Try one out first.  Hit your buddies up to try one of theirs and see how you like it.

Though I love the 400HG...others may find that it pulls too hard.  It is a preference thing.

And if you are looking at the 400HG, also check out the High Speed Beast.  It's not quite as fast, but it is plenty fast and pulls in those large bucktails easier.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE