leader making

2/17/15 @ 3:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mostlyfishing
mostlyfishing
USER since 6/7/13
I want to get in to make musky/pike leader and i know about what i need but the one thing i dont know is what Crimping pliers should i get…. Can anyone help me out
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/21/15 @ 9:11 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
I don't use floro due to the simple fact it can be cut. I use either single strand that I make myself or Leader and Lures brand 19 or 22 strand stainless wire. This is the same stuff that is used on airplane rudders, its tough and the leader are rated for the hardware they have on. The wire will fail last. They also don't kink like the bronze 7 strand. I had 5 muskies on one leader biggest being 46 and a number of pike. Got to love a product that last. I also don't use snaps as they weaken with ever open and closing you do. I use solid rings on my leaders and have a split ring on my bait.

If you want a two page description on how to make a single strand leader I have one in PDF format and gladly email it to you. Email me your name and town requesting it at gerardh822@yahoo.com and I will get it to you.

Post Your Comment
2/21/15 @ 8:24 AM
burroak
burroak
USER since 6/26/01
I always use fluorocarbon for musky leaders. There are many opinions on what # strength to use. Some say 65# for smaller lures and 100# or 125# for heavier lures. Personally I have never had a 65# leader fail. Also much easier to tie the knots in the lighter fluro. The key to using the lighter fluro is to check the leader periodically for nicks. I know that there will be some who disagree with the lighter weight, but it works for me. I have not caught a 50, but quite a few over 45.

Post Your Comment
2/20/15 @ 3:11 PM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
I picked up this tool in the fly shop in Cabelas.

$10. Works great for flouro leaders.

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 7:14 PM
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
I like to tie fluoro directly to braid using an improved albright knot. There are several variations that can be found on the internet, but the video in the link below shows the way I prefer to tie it. I go 10 wraps up and 5 back down before going back through the fluoro loop. You may be skeptical at first, but it will NOT pull out. Ever. I then tie the fluoro to a spro swivel with a uni knot, only using 2 wraps through the loop. I've tried more, but can't get the line to cinch down tight when using more than 2, and strength is not an issue. A direct braid to fluoro connection is awesome for night fishing because once you reel it through the first guide you know to start your figure 8, and you can cast it back through the guides without issue.

http://fishing.wonderhowto.com/how-to/tie-improved-albright-leader-knot-for-fishing-247541/

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 3:11 PM
mostlyfishing
mostlyfishing
USER since 6/7/13
@muskie nut For the most part i will be using fluorocarbon

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 7:31 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
If you are tying flouro, don't use a crimp. You get excellent strength with a nail knot and none of the sharp edges or leverage points that are in a crimp.

Post Your Comment
2/17/15 @ 5:31 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
You'll have to be more specific. Cable (7-strand) or fluorocarbon? Unless you know what you are doing, I'd stay away from crimps. Too little pressure, they can pull out, too much pressure you can damage the leader and lose a fish that way.

Post Your Comment