home made baits vs store bought?

9/23/14 @ 11:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10
just recently started about a year ago making our own bucktails. Very educational!! You can make any color, shape, size from deer hair to feathers and blades galore! Yes there is the right time to use blades etc.. dont get me wrong I do fish with store bought baits such as a bulldawg, but the gratification of catching a monster on something you made is pretty cool. this fish was on a blade yes there was a happy dance on that one!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 58 Posts
2/28/15 @ 5:08 PM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10
Finally done dying deer tails 10 different colors including white. 30 tails should be enough to start some musky baits. Here is the rainbow of tails favorite of course would be hot pink!

Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 5:21 AM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10
Cast away cool! Glad your getting into tying! I have started to tan my own deer tails thanks to all that save me deer tails!!! With be skinning this weekend (to cold to ice fish) also got into dying them

Post Your Comment
2/12/15 @ 4:11 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Starting to give tying hair a try and changing up my rubber tails a bit. Making them fuller and shorter. Going to try and round up some bicycle spoke nipples from the bike shop to try and make some hair tails with more flare to them....practice, practice , practice.

Post Your Comment
1/3/15 @ 6:33 AM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10
Yes, do have to agree with Muskie nut moores is Also a very good place to purchase components. Just wanted a big shout out thank you to all that saved me your huge deer tails!!! Also thank you to reinke brothers on the tips how to tan them! Very easy!!! Happy New Years to all!???????? now time finally to ice fish

Post Your Comment
1/2/15 @ 3:16 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
ice queen, also another great place to get parts and info is from Dick Moore of Moore's Lures. Moores Lures This guy is great and very, very knowledgeable on all things muskie. If you run into problem(s), i.e. blade won't turn, line twist, etc. call him on the phone and he gladly help you out.

Also the Capital City Muskie School on March 14 @ Waunakee High School is shaping up. The list of classes/instructors are in the January issue of the newsletter on the web site or just click here

Edited on 1/2/15 3:24 PM
Post Your Comment
1/1/15 @ 10:14 AM
burroak
burroak
USER since 6/26/01
I started making my own lures and bucktails a few years ago after taking two classes at the Madison Musky School. Since then, I have been making all of my own. I paint them with spray cans (Ace Premium Enamel seems best). After painting them, I mount them on a turntable that I made (Photo attached) and coat them with a heavy coat of Environtex LT which takes about 24 hours to totally dry - that is why they have to be rotated. The motor is a Disco Ball Motor that I bought for about $12 at Full Compass in Madison, WI. The motor rotates the drying lures at 1 RPM. The lures are held in place on the turntable with springs. Second photo is two lures that I made. If you have any questions, PM me.

Post Your Comment
10/15/14 @ 3:39 PM
CheapTrix
CheapTrix
USER since 11/20/07
I have turned my basement woodworking shop into my "Lureboratory". I make all my own bucktails, leaders, wooden crankbaits, jerkbaits and surface lures. My buddies laughed at me until I started continually catching big muskies with them. Now, they are asking me to design baits for them. If you have a store bought bait you like, it is easy to recreate and tweek it to make it better, and have fun doing it. It's a great hobby for winter.

Post Your Comment
10/10/14 @ 9:21 AM
KenK
KenK
USER since 6/19/01
My son caught and released all three of these (47, 48.5, and 50.5) on homemade bucktails that I had made. 1 on a single 10 and the other 2 on double 10s. There is just something special about using your own lures and catching big fish! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
10/7/14 @ 3:19 PM
madcelt
madcelt
USER since 3/13/02
Check out the "Basement Baits" forum on Muskiefirst.com for some completely insane paint jobs on hard baits. Some really good bucktail patterns on there also.

Post Your Comment
9/23/14 @ 6:51 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Sometimes I have more fun making buck tails than I do fishing! Ha! Guy I know makes some awesome hand crafted glide baits that are awesome.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 58 Posts