HELPPP getting a musky rod/reel combo

2/20/14 @ 7:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
beer-acuda
beer-acuda
USER since 1/6/12
I am looking at getting a musky rod and reel combo. I have been using my buddies toro winch the last few years just on a cheap heavy set rod. I am looking at getting a revo toro NACL, Any thoughts? Gear ratios and such (all i use is jerk baits and double 10's) Looking at spending 500
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
6/20/14 @ 6:04 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
I have that exact combo forsale 8'6 toothtammer and revo toro. PM if intrested.

Post Your Comment
6/20/14 @ 1:50 PM
WiscoMuskys
WiscoMuskys
USER since 1/19/12
revo and 8'6" tooth tamer... that's all you need

Post Your Comment
5/31/14 @ 12:23 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
If you are still looking, our new ER1 series musky rods are super nice sticks that would help make you budget.

The use Pac Bay Minima guides and solid carbide tip tops - for a guide set that has no ceramic at all - very light and durable.

And they can be had in either full grip or split grip if you prefer.

Let us know if we can help!

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 11:25 AM
J-Man 2.0
J-Man 2.0
USER since 4/16/14
I fish mainly revo torros of all gear ratios and love them all. The 5.4 is a good mid range, but I would use the 4.6 if I only hsd one.

I do have a Lexa 400 PWR-P coming that should be a great help in pulling double 10s and is cheaper than the revo line.

Rods are a matter of preference, but don't skimp...your extra money will result in lighter weight and you will be happy if you spend a lot of hours casting in a day.

I love the legend tournament line, but you may blow your budget a little if you don't get them for a sale price with the revo or lexa.

The mojo line would be a good option for you.

Post Your Comment
4/28/14 @ 5:19 PM
AChotrod
AChotrod
USER since 9/8/13
Look at Tackle Industries, Muskie Innovations,& Tooth Tamer rods. All really nice and can be had around $100-200 depending on what model you choose. I love my NACL 60 5.4. With the power handle and a XH rod you can pull 10s all day and the reel will work great with anything else. I also have a NACL 50 6.4 and it def is faster but 10s are not nearly as easy to pull in. 8s are no prob with it.

Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 3:58 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Ditto, I thought the same thing but after reading several years ago on another musky forum, I tried it and it does work to have a smaller diameter on the spool, ratio is just one part of it.It is just like a boat winch, when yo are winching in a boat when the rope slides of to a smaller diameter it is easier to crank.I am sure that reel manufactures do not want every one to know that though.

Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 11:07 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I have several Toro's of all gear ratios and the Winch hardly ever gets used anymore except for really hard to pull crankbaits. For DC10's I still prefer a 5.4 gear ratio. Not sure about he less line on the spool thing. Yes it will slow down the retrieve but the gear ratio is still the same.

Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 11:04 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
If you ar going to use a higher gear ratio for hard pulling baits.Take some of your line of the spool,all you really need is 75 to 100 hundred yards of line for musky fishing,that in affect gives you more power.It will shorten casting distance but not as mutch as you think.

Post Your Comment
3/3/14 @ 12:40 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
I was looking at the NACL. Nice and smooth. Similar to the Revo Toro 5.4 that I like. If it fits your hand and rod nice, it should be a good reel.

I like that 5.4 gear ratio best for throwing all baits. As stated below, though, if you are going to spend time cranking 10's and 13's, then you will want to invest in another setup with a lower gear ratio.

Post Your Comment
3/2/14 @ 8:49 PM
beer-acuda
beer-acuda
USER since 1/6/12
i am looking at the NACL61 with the 5:4 ration. whats does everyone think/

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts