MORE
Musky Fishing

Green Bay Giant...?

9/28/18 @ 12:06 PM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

https://chicago.suntimes.com/environment/green-bay-58-inch-muskie-fish-of-a-lifetime/

Fish sure are big in Green Bay.

Too bad this one was found dead a day later, put on a bump board and was only 55.  Only.

Don't know why someone needs to embellish a 55 inch fish.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
10/13/18 @ 11:07 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Well,

Either way, it's working, can't complain.

10/12/18 @ 12:44 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Jerry I have caught a few fish on Cave Run this year with fin clips both were over forty inches 40.50 & 42.50 according to the biologists they were clipped the year they were stocked.

10/12/18 @ 5:03 AM
Jerry Ruffolo
PRO MEMBER User since 6/18/01
My apologies for calling it an adipose fin.  Also, the practice of clipping fins has been stopped for the most part, as this affects fish survival.  The 53" we had this year had it's fin clipped, but another 51 did not.
10/11/18 @ 2:17 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Jerry- 

Are you talking about muskies? I only ask because muskies don’t have adipose fins. Some stocked trout and salmon have adipose or a pectoral fin removed. 

10/10/18 @ 7:43 PM
Jerry Ruffolo
PRO MEMBER User since 6/18/01
The Great Lakes musky strain in Green Bay does indeed reproduce, but the population is further helped by the work of Titletown Musky Club and the WI DNR.  Natural fish versus stocked fish are identified by the adipose fin, where stocked fish have this fin removed and natural reporducing fish still maintain this fin.
10/5/18 @ 7:23 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

The muskies in Green Bay are definitely capable of reproduction, and there has been some documented natural reproduction around the Fox River. 

10/5/18 @ 2:43 PM
Fireman Ken
User since 6/14/13

Very well said Vegas.   To help sustain any species of fish please get a replica made if you plan on keeping it for a trophy.     

10/5/18 @ 2:03 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I believe that all true muskies, regardless of strain can reproduce.  So, tiger muskies are the ones who are sterile.  And the Great Lakes strain is no tiger musky.  That being said, I thought I heard/saw somewhere that tigers may actually spawn as well, so who really knows.

What I do know is this....muskies and fish will go through the motions of spawning.  There are many factors affecting whether or not the spawn will be effective.  

On my "home" lake of Pewaukee, muskies spawn every spring.  But the results of the spawn is near 0%.  What happens?  Many things...perhaps the water wasn't quite the right temperature for the eggs to hatch.  Perhaps the bottom of the lake changes due to winds and the eggs do not hatch.  Perhaps (and most likely) carp/suckers came around after the eggs were dropped and eat them.  There are dozens of factors that lead to an unsuccessful spawn.

This unsuccessful reproduction isn't just for southeastern Wisconsin lakes, or the Bay.  It also happens in lakes up north.  Why?  Anyone's best guess as there are many factors that go into play.

That is why it is imperative for clubs and the DNR to do their best to keep repopulating the lakes with fish.  And not just muskies.

Pewaukee has a rockin' Walleyes for Tomorrow Chapter.  Those guys are catching their own females in nets, milking their eggs, fertilizing the eggs with milk from males, then hatching the eggs and putting the fry back into the lake.  They are optimizing the spawning process...albeit artificially.  And even after doing all of that, the fry are so small and delicate that I want to say the anticipated survival rate is .5%. (To adulthood and 15 inches.) Half of one percent.  Although I think Pewaukee is doing a lot better than that estimate.

Walleyes for Tomorrow Pewaukee Lake

Same holds true for muskies.  You gotta put fish into lakes when natural reproduction just isn't working.  Take and put fisheries.

I'm pretty proud of the work my chapter has done, Milwaukee Chapter of Muskies Inc.  I'm also proud of the work that the Muskellunge Club of Wisconsin has done regarding stocking.  We are doing our best to keep muskies in the water.

I see online where many other chapters are active in stocking as well.  And this is great.  The future of the sport depends on it.

10/5/18 @ 9:01 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

I believe you are right Popper.

They are all stocked and and don't naturally reproduce. Now that I say that, I seem to think I have seen videos of fish caught all beat up from spawning.

Maybe they "spawn" but nothing happens?

Anyone have insight?

10/3/18 @ 6:16 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
I would just hope that a fish like that - capable of reaching over 55 inches - has had at least a few opportunities to pass that on to progeny. 
10/3/18 @ 1:04 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Maybe he measured over the fish's body with a tape?  I see guys over-exaggerate that way.

10/3/18 @ 9:48 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I do not know what was done with the fish after it was found dead.

I too did not like the vertical hold.  It's been proven that vertical holds are bad for fish.

I found it odd that someone would claim a 55 inch fish was 58 inches.  Huge is huge at that point.  Double nickles are rare.

10/2/18 @ 5:42 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Kvandehel...Not all fish are "created equal", much like the human race. A person at full maturity, may be 6' 5" and the next might be 5' 10" (examples only). Same with fish. A muskie in that 55"++ range is a genetic freak...eating what they have available could girth a fish like that to incredible proportions. There are some mature muskies that top out in the 50"+ range.

It;s still "just" a fish, but what a piggie!!

10/2/18 @ 12:18 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I think it was made special because he didn't measure properly.

When I was a kid and musky fishing up there wasn't popular like it is now, we saw lots of dead 50" fish.  Used to look like birch logs on the shoreline, the long white bellies.  Biggest we had was a 54"er, it was dying on the surface so we went up to it in our paddle boats and picked it up.  Carried it around the resort telling everyone we caught it LOL.  That was a weird stretch with how many dead ones there were.  Talking 15+ years ago though too.  We just thought they died of old age at the time, were no small ones.

10/2/18 @ 9:27 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

40+ inch musky on the bay are common and 50+ inch musky are not uncommon, what's special about this one?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE