Fluorocarbon for Sucker Rigs?

10/23/14 @ 6:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
Anyone using Fluorocarbon to make their sucker rigs? Any pro's or con's?
(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
1/8/15 @ 10:44 AM
Jim Stroede
Jim Stroede Guide Service
USER since 1/8/15
We've been doing flouro for sucker for a few years now. Pickups on these rigs come more often for sure. Jim Stroede

Post Your Comment
11/15/14 @ 8:38 PM
Z LEADERS
Z LEADERS
USER since 1/23/13
We've been using and selling Fluoro Sucker Rigs for years. 130# to be safe. 100# if you are feeling lucky. 80# forget about it. If you do use Fluoro, remember the main idea behind it....invisibility so make your rigs 30" inches or longer. But our favorite rig is the "Hybrid" (40" Fluoro main line with wire hook leads). Use single treble hook rigs for more stealthy presentation and smaller suckers and double treble hook rigs more better hook-up percentage and larger suckers.

Post Your Comment
11/12/14 @ 7:36 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
I use 100lb. No issues. As stated earlier, no crimps. Just a really good knot is needed.

Post Your Comment
11/11/14 @ 4:13 PM
reefhawg
reefhawg
USER since 1/23/10
No problem. It's a risk vs. reward thing that might not be for everyone. Don't take my history of catches with no failures as your only evidence as to why you should/could use them. Develop your own data set, and move from there. That's the fun part. One thing to remember when building them is you will want to avoid potential kink and/or mechanical knick/slice scenarios. Don't run clevises with big hooks on bare floro, rather place the hook with a solid bead as a stop below. Thinking of and maintaining distance between your next hookset and any self induced failpoint, will go a long way in ensuring any rigs' promise.

Post Your Comment
11/11/14 @ 9:42 AM
H2O
H2O
USER since 5/25/03
Thanks for the info. Ill probably tie some up this winter and give it a try next year, but boy is it tough having faith it wont get sliced by a fish.... Do you use 130-150#?

Post Your Comment
11/11/14 @ 8:57 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
I use all flouro. This fall has been strange for me. For one reason or another, I've had the rigs get shredded on the first fish. They still held, but when in the net, there are 3 trebles to get hung up and the fish gets great leverage on the hook/flouro when that happens.

So, my flouro has been nicked to where I've had to retie after one fish. And that is not the "usual" for me.

But still no failures. And plenty of hook ups!

Post Your Comment
11/9/14 @ 7:18 AM
reefhawg
reefhawg
USER since 1/23/10
I was doing the same thing you describe for a number of years, with wire from snout down. I decided to try the whole rig out of floro about 5 years ago, and haven't lost a fish due to a failure yet. We typically hook up with a half dozen 46-51"ers on our fall trophy trip, and along with the smaller fish here at home, we haven't had what I'd even consider a 'close' call. Again, it is a risk, and the first time I get one bit off will see me changing tactics a bit. Also, as mentioned, I do change leader material when I see nicks and chips in the line.

Jason Schillinger

Edited on 11/9/14 7:21 AM
Post Your Comment
11/4/14 @ 8:27 AM
H2O
H2O
USER since 5/25/03
Are you guys using floro for the entire rig up to the hooks, or just up to the sucker? Make my own with floro up to the sucker and then wire from snout to hooks. Definately saw an increase in fish, never tried floro for the whole thing.

Post Your Comment
10/30/14 @ 12:10 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
Agree on the hook size! So many commercial leaders use a 5/0 treble or two - those things are huge to hang on a sucker.

And the smaller hooks set much easier.

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
10/30/14 @ 7:44 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have used fluorocarbon for a long time as well. I even make my casting leaders out of it. I use 100# almost exclusively. For circle hook pike fishing or tipup fishing, I go down to 20#. On some lakes around here I will use 20# leader on bass crank baits just because there are so many musky encounters.

Another thing to consider is you really dont need that big of hook either on a sucker rig. Many people use WAY too big of hooks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts