Bulldawg Fishing

5/30/14 @ 1:06 PM
ORIGINAL POST
deerlaker
deerlaker
USER since 2/24/11
I am relatively new to muskie fishing and bought my first dawg earlier this week. I live on a Class A muskie lake but the lake has a lot of weeds. I am having trouble fishing this lure over the weeds and not getting caught in them. Should I stick to the drop offs and the deep weed lines instead?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/2/14 @ 8:44 PM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03
What reel are you using you might need a higher gear ratio to keep it above the weeds

Post Your Comment
6/2/14 @ 5:07 AM
Don Varese
Don Varese
MEMBER since 6/20/01
When you don't have allot of water to work with, whether it be shallow or there isn't allot of clearance between the tops of the weeds and the surface, try making shorter casts. If you still can't keep em out of the weeds, you might be using the wrong tool for the job.

Post Your Comment
5/31/14 @ 11:40 AM
Oxman
Oxman
USER since 5/4/08
Vegas is right. They do make a shallow dawg as it is called now, that is designed for that type of spplication. And the hole in the top finn indicates the shallow dawg.

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 6:51 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Tucking one point of the trebles into the body will buy you a little clearance also.

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 4:13 PM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03
try a jerk bait over the weeds

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 3:07 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
I own one Dawg and its the heaviest lure in the box. So it is reserved for deep open water fishing or the breaks. For fishing over weeds I resort to the shallow divers.

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 2:17 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Short answer...yes. Use the dog on breaks and open water fishing.

Longer answer...depends on your dawg. If you have an "uptown" dog, I think that one sinks slower and you can work it above weeds. I have a few older ones that work well like this and I think they have a hole in the top fin identifying which are "uptowns".

Good luck to you.

Post Your Comment