BIG BAITS or little baits

6/12/15 @ 12:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Getting ready for a Cedar Lake fishing trip. Just wondering what types of baits do the Musky seem to prefer. I know that little baits usually catch more fish and in some lakes that is all they want. However I have heard that Cedar has a good population of big guys will that make a difference. Thanks
Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/13/15 @ 1:59 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Guys all of this seems to me to make good sense. I am a firm believer in the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. . However when it gets slow downsizing is the way to go.. You mentioned saddles well nothing better especially when the ind is blowing in on them.... Cant wait only one more week to go.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
6/13/15 @ 1:54 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I have caught lots of big musky on crankbaits and other bass lures. Seems to me they like to est what they see.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
6/13/15 @ 1:53 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Thanks for the comment.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
6/13/15 @ 12:19 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
All the muskies i end up catching are always on bass lures. Rapala dt10s, biggest deep shad rap and swim jigs. I get follows on big baits and strikes on little baits. My first musky ever 20 years ago hit a beetle spin.... Now when I musky fish I just throw my biggest bass stuff. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 3:23 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I go big right away on the opener. If you truly try to match the hatch in the spring in terms of size you'll be using baits that are better suited to catch panfish. Those young of the year are not going to be big at all in May/June....but the adult baitfish they will feed on is already mature.

Your retrieve and location is more significant than bait size is. Opening day the past half a dozen years the smallest thing I've thrown has been the standard sized DDD. I start fishing as early as possible (midnight) and have at least doubled each year by 6am. Pounders, hardheads, large hellhounds, large DDD's, a home made copy of a suick that is 16 inches long have all produced and moved fish consistently very early in the season. It's not bait size, it's location and when everyone else is tossing the small stuff I'm chucking "fall" baits. I'll use the smaller stuff when more finesse is needed working around obstructions or when a window opens up towards the end of summer when a smaller bait is the ideal tool but early on regardless of where I'm at it's the big stuff.

I would also add that the reason why you hear about smaller baits producing there is because more smaller baits are being used than anything else. You'll catch 90% of your fish on a bait you use 90% of the time. Nothing magical about it, it's just a self fulfilling prophecy.

Edited on 6/12/15 3:25 PM
Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 2:32 PM
Prez@1212
Prez@1212
USER since 6/20/13
Big Ed,

Been fishing Cedar for years with a bunch of guys out of Southern IL.

A number 5 or 6 Mepps bucktail should be adequate for your needs on Cedar in June. As the lake currently sits you'll be wanting to hit the weed edges in the back of bays, always good are any saddles, primary and secondary windblown points as well as any major rock outcroppings, mudlines or boulders providing a point of attack for Ol Esox.

Got to think small in June. Big baits might get you to move fish but our past experience shows that a smaller natural sized bait gets you hooked up.

Never can rule out a good topwater bite so a big poes cedar, big zara or even a chunky frog might be a good ticket!

Good Luck on Cedar!! You will be making plans to return year after year.

Post Your Comment