A new rod????

1/27/18 @ 10:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
wskiph
wskiph
USER since 9/3/11

I only fish musky 10 days maybe in a season.   I use an older 7ft rod ..good quality. Id like opinions on upgrading to the longer models that are popular now

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
3/9/18 @ 11:41 PM
wskiph
wskiph
USER since 9/3/11

Thanks a lot gentlemen...havd not decided yet ...goin shoppin tomorrow...Bass Pro.

Post Your Comment
3/9/18 @ 8:03 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
USER since 1/10/05

Hey wskiph .

I agree with a bunch of stuff that was already said. I was going to say something along the lines of Vegas, and that is that there are many great options out there. Don't get caught up wasting too much time trying to find "the perfect rod." Also, some people are skeptical of telescoping rods, but I have a 9-footer that works great for me. We have six rods that we use, and each one is different. All work well.

You said you use a 7-footer, and I would say that it's time to upgrade, friend. Get yourself a rod that's at least 8 feet long (my opinion). The reason I say this is because it helps with various things, such as casting and extreme tension from explosive boatside strikes. The big thing, though, is boatside manuevers (figure eights, etc.). If you have physical ailments or are older, longer rods will help a lot. They help for any angler.

Also, make sure you carefully consider how you will transport the rod either in your vehicle or boat to make sure it fits. The longer the rod the harder it is to transport when making trips. Don't just assume you can make it work. Actually take measurements before you buy it. You may also want to look at the weight of the rod.

Edited on 3/9/18 8:05 PM
Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 11:48 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
There is something to be said (good) for a telescoping rod.  I've got 3 or 4 8.5 foot XH Okumas that fit nicely in the rod locker and are great rods for guests in my boat.  Heck, my wife has caught a ton of fish on hers and she won't get rid of that rod even though she upgraded to a 9 foot Elk River Custom rod XH...and dang, that thing is a beauty.  They even made it with pink highlights for her.

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 11:17 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
USER since 6/18/13

Tackle industries telescopic 9’ rod. I bought mine last year for 150$   Very nice rod. Great for figure 8’s on big fish. Makes it easier and it casts really well. I also have MH 8’ St. Croix mojo rod which I like well also.  Personally I think to much is made about fishing rods in the Muskie world. Other than having the extra length for good 8’s, almost any graphite rod works well enough. Especially if you only fish 10 days a year for them. Yes, there are differences and we all have our own preferences but I don’t think they make that big of difference in fish catching ability. As long as it’s weighted properly for the baits used. Reels are a different story. Throwing big blades and/or working a glider/softbait etc needs different reels.   I guess my pics of advise is don’t break the bank on a rod vs buying a nice reel. Just error in that direction and buy at least a 7’ 6” long rod with the proper weight for the baits you use. 

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 10:53 AM
Reba`s daddy
Reba`s daddy
USER since 11/8/16

I have a brand new,never been used 7'6" Pete Mania musky combo for sale.Will throw in whatever musky lures i have,maybe 4 or 5.Paid around 240.00 for it a while ago.$175.00

Edited on 2/6/18 10:55 AM
Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 9:51 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

I'm not sure that there is any "perfect" rod out there.  There are certain baits that work better on different rods.  Lengths and actions.  

My go-to bucktail/topwater/dog/jigging rod is my 9 foot St. Croix Big Nasty.  Heavy power, fast action.  Not too whippy on the 8, but not too firm either.  And...can't beat that warranty.

Now if cost is a factor, Musky Innovations has a great rod.  Bulldog Pro Rod.  I've got their 8.5 footer XH for throwing larger plastic and also for jigging.  Surprisingly enough, it turned into a good bucktail rod, too.  Cost is a lot lower and it's a quality rod.

I've also got their 7.5 foot XH for pitching my larger glide baits and it is amazing.  I'd never get rid of this rod.

Reel wise, my go-to is the Calcutta 400B.  Bullet Proof.  Throw a power handle on there (from jigging world) and it takes care of 10's nicely.  I too have a 500 Tranx PG and it kills me to use it.  I had to put a jig ripper handle on that rod to see if I can now use it.  But, it is smooth as butter and can bring in any bucktail easily and fast enough to blow it out of the water.

My advice is to grab the reel you want, then walk around an expo, or Rollie and Helens and put it onto the rods you like and see how it all feels in your hand.  You will find one that just feels better and that should be your winner.

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 9:26 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

I use a 8 foot MH St Croix Legend Tournament and it has broken 3 times from normal use DCG musky fishing.  If it did not come with life time warranty, it would be gone by now.   It is paired with a Revo Toro Winch

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 11:28 PM
wskiph
wskiph
USER since 9/3/11

Thanks for feed back...a lot to consider....

Im 74 yrs old ..so i am inclined to throw smaller baits 

Ty again

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 10:26 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
USER since 8/25/08

The 8'6" Heavy with a size 400 lexa is a great all around setup for rubber, gliders, and smaller blades/topwaters. If you're serious about throwing 10's you'll need a reel with a lower gear ratio and ideally a power handle. I'm currently running the low speed tranx 400 with the high speed power handle and it really seems to do the job well. I used to own a size 500 tranx but ended up selling it due to the fact that at 20 ounces it was killing me on those all day summer trips, with that said it blew 10's and 13's out of the water! The low gear ratio Revo Beast does a good job with 10's as well but it's somewhere in the middle of the two tranx's weight-wise and cost-wise so personally I'd opt for the smaller tranx. The 400 lexa and 400 tranx in medium and high speed models (respectively) will both be great for jerkbaits but you may need to go with a shorter rod. I'm 6'3" and my boat rides high so I can get away with throwing gliders with my 8'6" but some of my buddies prefer a 7'6" or even a 7'. Also for the smaller glide baits such as baby squirkos, it helps to have a softer blank like a MH action muskie rod. Hope this helps, feel free to ask away!

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 9:15 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

NP

I could use some advice too if you wouldn't mind.

Just started the musky game last year.

I bought a 8'6" Heavy Fast Bulldawg from Cabelas and put a Dawia Lexa 400 (high speed) on it.

I plan on running three casting rods. Bucktails (up to 10's), jerks/cranks and rubber.

I don't think I'd want to go longer than 8'6".

I like the Bulldawg rods, more interested in action type and reels for what I want to do.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jared

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts