Upper MIssissippi Navigation and Launching?

8/4/15 @ 6:33 AM
ORIGINAL POST
bassmasterfred
bassmasterfred
USER since 9/2/09
Looking to fish the Upper Mississippi River for some summer smallies. Not sure how far north I can go with my Ranger z520c? Spent a lot of time on Google Earth and it looks like I should be ok from Anoka up to about Monticello? Can anybody please shed some light on if this plan sounds good? Looks like there is a decent launch in Anoka and then I think I can run north? Thanks in advance for any suggestions on which stretch to fish and navigate. New to MN
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
3/15/17 @ 9:40 PM
FrankR
FrankR
USER since 3/15/17

I would launch in Elk River. The area around Dayton is really shallow and filled with large rocks. If you launch in Elk River you have to immediately cross the river to get into some deeper water. From there you can make it up to Moniticello. The Elk River launch is under hiway 101

Edited on 3/15/17 9:41 PM
Post Your Comment
3/13/17 @ 10:28 AM
zipstick
zipstick
USER since 2/15/06

Hope you did not try it in a prop boat! The park in Anoka has a ramp fight off Highway 10, but I had a window smashed in my truck and was robbed there last year. Not good for prop boats or vacationers apparently. The entire Mississippi RIver from the Twin Cities upstream forever should not be fished with fiberglass unless the water is quite high. In fact, if the water is a bit low, a jet boat operator still must be quite careful. 

Post Your Comment