SEARCH
MORE
Minnesota Fishing Discussion

Any hard core Winnie guy's?

1/12/15 @ 3:43 PM
INITIAL POST
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Just wondering if there are many guys on Lake-link who love fishing Lake Winnibigoshish as much as I do. How has the introduction of invasives affected your fishing? Has it changed your presentation, times you fish, and the depths you now fish? it's a sure bet the lake is much clearer then it use to be. Do you fish different?
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/7/18 @ 11:38 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Whoa, nobody has put a  post on here since my last post in 2015. Well, the perch fishing in 2016 was better and 2017 was better than that. HOWEVER, this year we only caught 3 keepers total. The lake continues to change. It was so clear last week that we could see 15 feet down on calm days! All of rock piles that we fish in 11 to 17 fow had zip ,zero and nada on them. I am not saying that they are not in there yet.I just don't know where they are anymore in the first week of August.There were a bunch of 6 inch perch on the deeo humps but no jumbos out there. The only 3 that we got came from weed lines and they were wormy.There are almost no weeds on the North end this year. Hope this helps somebody out there. Mrt.

8/10/15 @ 3:00 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
Just got done with our yearly trip. Worst perch fishing in 15 years. Tried shallow rocks, deep rocks, humps, bars weed edges. We fished 5 to 8 hours a day and did not limit. Walleyes were around but mostly slot fish. We have caught over 300 fish a trip every year but this one. [3 boats, 10 people} we came home with only about a hundred between us. Did not see many boats out all week either. I hope it is just a cycle. Mrt.
7/23/15 @ 9:36 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
Perch trip to Winnie coming up soon. I have heard reports that it is a good year for weed growth. Any reports? We usually fish rocks but will check out the weedy flats as a plan "B". We always seem to do ok but any additional info appreciated ! Mrt.
6/3/15 @ 3:29 PM
The Huntress
User since 4/30/14
Leech lake is known for its jumbo perch. It's just 7 mi. south of winnie. Havent caught any yet myself but some freinds who live up there catch them incidentally when targeting walleyes. They usually use a jig/minnow & twistertails/sm jig. They caught a few last month. We have a cabin in Fed./Dam.
6/2/15 @ 1:31 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
We fish Winnie for a week every year. It is usually the first week of August. We are hardcore for 6 days , doing two a days mainly for perch. Best week of the year! I love that area. Any other good perch lakes in the area? We usually do ok but some years our week coincides with a bug hatch etc. I heard Bowstring has some nice perch but I have never gone there. Somebody also mentioned Round Lake to me[ the one just north of Winnie} but the DNR website said that the perch have a lot of yellow grubs up that way. Ever fished it? Mrt..
2/8/15 @ 8:09 AM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Hey Muskie1011, No problem posting names, these are great guys. My first choice would be Tom Neustrom, at mnfishingconnections.com, he's a Hall of Fame angler, and as professional as they come. He's on this months cover of Midwest Outdoors. Otherwise Jeff Sundin, or the guys at mnfishingpros.com. You won't go wrong with any of them.
2/5/15 @ 6:31 PM
musky1011
User since 7/4/05
Names please.. Just private message me if you do not want to post here
2/4/15 @ 6:00 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
I have never fished Sand lake, but know some excellent guides who fish it a lot if you need some names! It's been very popular because there was never a slot on it in the past. It is also right next to Bowstring, another excellent lake.
2/2/15 @ 9:33 PM
musky1011
User since 7/4/05
We are going to try sand lake in deer river this year.. Probably sept. 2015 do you guide on this lake?
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE