MORE
Kayak Fishing

Show Your Ride!

7/18/18 @ 6:12 PM
INITIAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

What a better way to start this off! Show your ride! My yak the day I got it and my first bass on it!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
1/17/19 @ 8:37 AM
ruff54
User since 6/5/17

Bit the bullet and upgraded this off season. The liquidation sale at Laacke & Joys had some deals that were too good to pass up. So, now I’m a proud owner of a Native Watercraft Titan 12. Unfortunately it’s January and all I can do is goofy things like switch the stock pedals out for fancy matching green pedals. Oh well, April will be here soon enough.

1/13/19 @ 7:41 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Mark-your way for the transducer is what I did except I cut the foam tight to the transducer shape and I add water. It holds (and holds the water) even tipped in its side too.

Actually,the first time Using it I added Gatorade. I didn’t have a container to put water in with.

1/10/19 @ 2:31 PM
packer34
User since 3/28/02

My older Hobie Outback.  Looking to possible sell this one as I have upgraded to a newer Hobie.  If interested let me know and we can work out a deal.  Fished a few tourneys out of this one and really liked it and now I'm hooked on this yak fishing for big mouths.

9/13/18 @ 7:49 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
Yes, the transducer is a elongated, but it still works. Down imaging even works great shooting through the hull. Obviously, you have to mount it on a flat spot that will accommodate it. And you know that I do a lot of deep water fishing in my kayak l, and it has no problem marking fish or even the thermocline. Robollio's method is probably better, I just wanted to try my way first to see if it'd work and I never went back. 
9/12/18 @ 7:57 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

Rig looks good, CDS!  I'll second the lowrance - I have a slightly older model - the Elite 5 Chirp - which I think was one year older than the hook.  Works great.  

On my old kayak, I've got a Humminbird 587 HD DI that I shoot through the hull.  I did my setup a little differently as I didn't feel like dealing with goop and air bubbles (I read about horror stories, maybe they aren't that bad).  

I cut out an outline of the transcuder out of some foam - actually it was an old ice fishing hole cover- and then gooped the foam to the hull.  I then put some lithium grease into the cut out area onto the hull and then stuck the ducer into the grease.  In 6 years of the kayak being stored and transported on it's side, I've only re-applied the grease once.  It doesn't run all over when warm and provides a good medium for the transducer to shoot through.  Not saying it's the best option, but an option none-the-less.  

9/9/18 @ 3:38 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Cds... My lowrance hook 4 is pretty nice. I use it thru hull with eletrical putty and it works absolutely no issue. Bonus I have the icepack for winter. Not to pricey and accepts Navionics even though the insight Pro chip it came with has given me no reason to get a navi chip yet. I would think it would be fine for saltwater applications.

8/14/18 @ 4:55 PM
Sdrag
User since 2/5/16

Been using the field and stream for years, just bought the Hobie this year.

7/31/18 @ 8:30 AM
KayakDan
User since 8/25/14

Hi Fetch. Rutabaga is a good place to start. If you have time, they host Canoecopia in early spring. Nearly all manufacturers are there and you can sit in tons of kayaks. There are so many to choose from.

I personally like Jackson Kayaks, and they make a few 'Realtree Camo' versions. I think one is the Cuda and the other the Kilroy.

And here is a pic of me on my Cuda 12. We also have a Coosa, a Kilroy DT, and two other big box kayaks. Our favorite thing to do is kayak camp, and we're leaving tonight to hit up the north fork of the Flambeau river for 4 days.

Good luck!

7/30/18 @ 3:07 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

Yeah, that's the downside to my Revo - nowhere to really put fish. I do know a guy who runs a fish bag in his tankwell behind him. But I'm a junky - I like to bring about 5-6 rods out with me and a ton of baits. If I wanted to go the fish bag route, I'd have to lose the crate. Maybe something I'll think about in the future.

But to answer your question, yes, I stringer my fish. Usually run one each side. The Lindy Heart of Steel stringer is what I use cuz it slides through the teeth and gills. It gets to be a real pain one you have about 3 or 4 kings on the stringer. 

7/30/18 @ 1:50 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Nice Mark, where do you put those fish after you catch them?  Do you just use a big stringer rope and drag them around with you?

7/30/18 @ 11:22 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
My go-to salmon and walleye slaying kayak - Hobie Revo. 
7/30/18 @ 11:10 AM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

New to kayaks, looking for one primarily to fly fish from but also possibly jump shoot ducks on creeks, rivers.  Like the idea of a foot paddle propelled boat.  Any suggestions or places to try before you buy?  I'm considering going to Ruttabagas to check out a few......

7/29/18 @ 10:45 AM
scottsquatch
User since 7/29/18

Nucanoe Frontier 12 w/ SeaDek

check out our Kayak Fishing podcast...

Paddle N' Fin on Itunes and variety of other platforms...

https://anchor.fm/paddle-n-fin

-Scott

7/29/18 @ 9:57 AM
weinis
User since 5/17/06

Kayak fishing is a blast. Its great they added it to site

7/23/18 @ 8:45 PM
Retiredarmysarge-e6
User since 7/23/18

Snorkel damm you just gave me an idea!!!!! Lol actually it’s a yak attack cell block 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE