SEARCH
MORE
Kayak Fishing

Red/green bow/running lights

12/15/18 @ 12:17 PM
INITIAL POST
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Does anyone here have a durable,working solution to the need for bow lights?

(There's a motor on the kayak.)

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/18/18 @ 12:15 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Thanks,Mr Bass...I'll try that one too - as a back-up...I saved $$ on my "better than stock" stern light/flag.

Last year I did a couple hours-long nighttime trips and while nobody else was on the water anywhere nearby,all it takes is one light going out while a warden is watching and I'll wish I had a back-up to my back-up. Now I will.

BTW,Monroe County FL has about 35 permanent full-time wardens besides the ones that cycle thru for training. I'm anal about trying to be completely legal on everything...In triplicate if practical....and I routinely stop wardens to ask questions when down there...Ya'all think WISCONSIN'S regs are complicated? 

12/18/18 @ 9:06 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I have this one on my kayak and I attached it by adhesive.  It's held up 3 years so far.  Not the best quality but for $30 and 3 years of use I figure I got my moneys worth.  It wouldn't let me insert the link.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Attwood-Deck-Mount-LED-Navigation-Light-Kit/2220498.uts?productVariantId=4479812&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04356980&rid=20&ds_rl=1246549&ds_rl=1246552&ds_rl=1252242&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAiA0uLgBRABEiwAecFnk0BSL-vXpEwsK99nOFvy-hNhvzS0sDd4RJMG9L30S82XK3kQsGQNYRoCw_AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

12/15/18 @ 7:35 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Thanks,bt...I found some often contentious debate on kayak sites about using red/green bow lights on a kayak. The coast guard discourages it as they're for motorized craft underway. One problem is that the lighted 'yak is expected to behave like a motorized vessel underway.

I've got the required 360* white light on my stern (2mile visibility) and most sources agree that is the only light used on a kayak besides a handheld (to signal/avoid collision). Even the company than manufacturer of the Tektite Kayalu Kayalite has a disclaimer that red/green bow lights can create a more hazardous situation than a white light only....However,the law states that ALL motorized vessels must have red/green running lights on the bow,regardless of speed,length or height.

My 360* stern light will be 5' to 6' high,my bow lights will only be about 18" above the water's surface. I'll be "legal"...But I will #1) mostly be ashore by dark. #2) absolutely stay out of high traffic areas/channels...and #3) operate on the theory that I'm invisible.

I think I've found a solid method of attachment. It needs to be easily removed and easily attached but not easily dislodged when I get hit by breakers or if I turtle. It needs to be reliable for 45 days in saltwater,in 2-4' waves plus surf zone...AND,I don't want to drill any more holes in my kayak. There's enough already.

Amazingly,I couldn't find much help on YouTube. 

12/15/18 @ 5:18 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Cut and paste is not cooperating on my phone so I can’t post a link but go on Amazon and search for LED lights for kayaks. There are a few options. 

I wish all yak’rs thought like you. The last thing I want to do is cut one of you in half on my way to the launch after the sun goes down. Stay safe!

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE