SEARCH
MORE
Kayak Fishing

Dry Suit or Semi-dry suit?

3/6/19 @ 4:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

I'm planning on going to the Milwaukee Sport Show on Friday.  I would love to find a deal on Kayak specific colder weather gear.  Think Lake Michigan Salmon fishing or anytime the water temps are lower than 60F.

Really don't want to spend $800 on a suit, but don't want to die either.  I would like something made for anglers / paddlers and not something made for a Tuna boat.

I see full dry suits and then semi-dry suits.  Any recommendations for a Great Lakes Kayak angler?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
3/12/19 @ 4:38 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Thanks for the Northern California Kayak Anglers suggestion.  I put it in my favorites. 

While we are at it I found that the Northwest Kayak Angler's web page to be helpful too:  NWKA  They fish for a lot of the same species of salmon.  The only weird thing on that site is the forum members talking a lot about crabbing. 

My Kokatat order is scheduled to arrive 3-18:

SuperNova Angler GORE-TEX®
Portage (Boots)
Surfskin Balaclava
Neo Kozee Glove

Now off to find a good radio, but that is for another thread. 

3/12/19 @ 12:03 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
That's a very good site for info. I used it when I was shopping as well. There's not a lot of people around here that do what we do. I kayak fish year round and will beach launch off ice on Lake Michigan in January or fish 3rd shift for walleyes at ice out to beach launching in 40 degree water after the big pond flips, but it's 70 degrees out to a hard fall rain even the walleyes are slamming. What works for me might not be what you're looking for. I wanted a breathable drysuit that I could layer underneath for the conditions I want to fish. 
Dry Suit or Semi-dry suit? photo by markrazzy
3/12/19 @ 10:26 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Clay - while there's a few experienced coldwater yak anglers here,I found that the site 'NCKA' (northern California kayak anglers) to be a better resource for information. It has a far larger,experienced coldwater kayak fishing community.

3/8/19 @ 8:28 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Show was a complete bust for a dry suit and for Great Lakes fishing equipment.  It was a grand time to spend with my fishing buddy and for the two of us to catch up but no dry suits here, minuscule amounts of Great Lakes Fishing equipment.  If you want to have a good day with a friend - sure go, but if you are after fishing equipment skip the show. 

I did like Aquarius Sail's presentations in the paddling pond and enjoyed meeting the staff and Richard Ofner's presentation.

Off to Canoeicopia tomorrow.  They will have level Six, Stohlquist and NRS stuff there but NO Kokatat. 

Anyone know anything about these?  https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Mens-GORE-TEX-Surge-Paddling-Suit

It's Gore-Tex and has two completely separate pieces.  The pants zip to the top???  Again, have a lot to learn.

3/7/19 @ 2:34 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Ive been to Canoeicopia the past few seasons. I almost missed it this year, thanks for the reminder guys.  

I guess since I bought my PA14, and I know they DON'T sell the Hobie line of boats, that I wasnt keepng up on things.  Last year they had a few boats at 7% off so I agree with you Mark, no huge markdowns.

Think that Ill try Milwaukee on Friday for some Great Lakes gear and check out Canoeicopia this weekend too.

3/6/19 @ 10:28 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

There is some more cost effective gear rather than a pricey drysuit.  A combinatin of semi dry pant and semi dry top. NRS has some good deals if your patient.  IMO dry suits are made for survival paddling Novemebr thru April and are mostly uncomfortable not for fishing. but to each his own i suppose 

If a medium will fit you Ive got a kokatat drysuit with zipper. I havent used in some years shoot me a pm northeast wisconsin

3/6/19 @ 6:38 PM
LuckyC
LuckyC
User since 2/12/17

I'd also recommend Canoecopia this weekend.  Kokatat and Level Six are usually there.  I was wearing a Level Six dry suit until last year when I picked up a semi-dry suit from REI during a sale.

I got the  Kokatat Supernova Angler Semi-Dry Suit (Hydrus 3.0) for $461 from REI with a coupon.

3/6/19 @ 6:29 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09

I'm not sure the Sports Show would be the place to find a drysuit. If you wanted to look for deals and or try one on, you'd be better off at Canoecopia in Madison. I can't guarantee there will be any deals though.

I ordered my drysuit from NRS (a kokatat goretex front entry suit) a few years ago when they had a closeout sale. I will admit that my neck is very sensitive to the latex on these suits, so I actually sent it in this past winter to Kokatat to do a leak test and patch up any leaks as well as replace the latex neck gasket with a neoprene neck gasket. That'd make it a semi-dry suit. I had to wear a buff under my latex neck gasket or it'd look like I tried hanging myself for about a week. Haven't had a chance to try it try. Big fan of Kokatat though. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE