SEARCH
MORE
Illinois Fishing Discussion

April Musky Fishing

3/19/17 @ 8:46 PM
INITIAL POST
Taylor50
User since 5/22/14

I live in South East Wisconsin and am not sure I can wait to get back on the water until the May 6th Wisconsin opener.  I have never fished in Illinois, so am a little unsure of the State Regulations.  It appears from my limited online search, that Musky fishing is open in April?  If that is the case I am wondering if anyone could give me a very north east lake in Il to try in mid and late April.

Thanks  

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
3/21/19 @ 9:09 PM
tuggs3
User since 12/12/08
Agree fox chain probably best option. Decent amount of water. Hopefully no ice and ya beat the yahoos out. Cause that's starting soon. Pierce lake near rockford has musky too. 
3/7/19 @ 2:48 PM
Musky Jim1
Musky Jim1
User since 4/3/18

Kinkaid is over 6 hrs south 

3/3/19 @ 11:46 PM
Musky Jim1
Musky Jim1
User since 4/3/18

The Illinois  chain of lakes is one of the better musky fisheries in Illinois. Musky is open year round so you don't have to wait till April but this year with the ice, you may have to. First ice off is usually premier for Musky. The Illinois chain flows from the fox river that originates in Wisconsin 

2/17/19 @ 1:35 PM
mby3rd
mby3rd
User since 9/30/16

I would just travel another 4 hours and go to Lake Kinkaid.

You can Musky fish year round and certainly by March.

Be happy to give you some advice.  

3/29/17 @ 4:34 PM
Trapper jerry
User since 2/3/16

Have you ever fished lake shabbona? Held the state record musky for a while. It's in delkalb county.

3/20/17 @ 10:25 AM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08

The Fox Chain of Lakes has good numbers and size musky but you do need a Fox waterway sticker to fish on the chain. I believe you can get a 1 day pass, a monthly, or yearly sticker. You can get one online or at triangle sports bait shop. 

Sterling Lake, a lake county forest preserve, has musky. This lake is trolling motor only.  Don't think there is much size here but I do see muskies pulled out occasionally in the 30 to 40 inch class.

Hope this helps out. Post if you hook into one! Good luck and tight lines!

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE