Zippo Handwarmer

1/7/14 @ 9:16 PM
ORIGINAL POST
QDad
QDad
USER since 1/2/12
In the few times that I've used this since picking one up, I've extinguished it by pulling off the burner (or whatever it's called) before it ran out of fuel. Does anyone know if unused fuel will stay within the handwarmer or does it evaporate? Knowing that will help when refilling it before going out.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
12/29/14 @ 11:20 AM
BLACKMAX
BLACKMAX
USER since 1/5/06
Anyone own a Wirecutter hand warmer,electric charge up like a cell phone with 6 hours of heat. I don't own one wondering if any good.

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 10:19 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I own a cpouple older ones - one has obviously been in-and-out of pockets many times.

I've tried occasionally to get one to work without success. I figured there must be a trick to it. I don't feel so bad now.

I'll stick to disposable chemical warmers: Cheap,safe and odorless.

Post Your Comment
12/24/14 @ 12:56 AM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02
They dry out they also leak if not lite and can give you a good chemical burn ,I stopped using the fuel hand warmers in the early 70's found they stank up my hands and messed up my catching the part about fishing I LIKE THE BEST,( I don't deer hunt anymore but doing every thing you can so the deer don't get a scent and carrying a fueled up hand warmer don't sound like a good plan to me) just a thought maybe it don't hurt.

Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 7:27 PM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02
So you guys are saying you have to torch them with a torch or what? a stick match won't work! Its BS, it is lighter fluid! The company should be sued!

Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 9:38 AM
kantfish
kantfish
USER since 1/1/12
Mine definitely lights better with a Butane type lighter and not filled to the top. A regular Aim and flame does not work well at all. I have been using Zippo fuel and will likely continue to do so unless I have a hard time finding it. Now I am looking for a good butane lighter, which will also need fuel. Jeeez no wonder the dry chemical hand warmers are so popular.

Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 9:15 PM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02
I used Ronsol fluid also! Maybe that is the problem, but how could that be? I followed those directions it doesn't stay lite! Never one time! Rip off

Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 6:36 PM
Viszla-Terrier
Viszla-Terrier
USER since 12/27/10
I too have a very hard time with these units,& I own 2. I also own 2 Jon-e and I find them much easier to use. I use Ronson lighter fluid for them all. Including my Zippo lighter. Eventually the fluid evaporates from lack of use in each. I'm now going to try using my Blazer micro torch to light them instead of the Zippo lighter. Good luck. Smile

Post Your Comment
12/20/14 @ 6:03 PM
kantfish
kantfish
USER since 1/1/12
I've been able to use my Zippo hand warmer a couple times during The Wisconsin deer hunting season. the unit worked fine using Zippo fuel. the most recent time that I tried to use it I overfilled it. I used the funnel filler but had a hard time getting the resevoir to take all the fuel, then the unit was difficult to light, I will be more conservative filling the unit next time, I rarely need 12 hours of run time.I also found some new old stock Jon-E units in the local hardware store that I picked up.Although these Zippo and Jon-e units are a bit more troublesome than the fleet farm pacs I do prefer the heat.

Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 12:52 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
USER since 12/9/14
MadTrapper --

Are you sure that you are using it right?

http://www.zippo.com/customercare/article.aspx?id=1792

Edited on 12/18/14 12:53 PM
Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 12:51 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
USER since 12/9/14
QDad --

I believe that over time it will evaporate or burn until it is gone. I think that it may take a few days or more to fully evaporate though...just throw a can of Zippo fluid in your glove box.

Edited on 12/18/14 12:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts