Your panfish jig collection

1/14/15 @ 10:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
gillipripper
gillipripper
USER since 1/3/15
Thought it would be fun to compare how many panfish jigs everybody has and uses. I feel like I probably have more than I will ever use and just buy them because I like them. I probably have around 50 tungsten panfish jigs I'd say. Also wondering what color and maybe what model is everybody's favorite. Right now I've been really liking a size 12 Skandia Pelkie in black with purple sparkle color. Let's hear what you guys use!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
2/4/15 @ 7:33 AM
Putdowntheaquaview
Putdowntheaquaview
USER since 12/6/05
I use to have a bunch of jigs from glitters, tungsten, to the plan ol dot moon jigs. Id had a lot of money invested until my dad left them on a lake this year. So now I went out and started fresh. I find Tungsten to work great in deeper water. I like to use the 1 or 2 lb line, find the smallest jig possible, and load it up with spikes for gills. Seem to do very well on that. For crappies I use any kind of Glow vertical jigs and fish evenings for them. I may not get the numbers but the size seems to increase into the night depending on how many adult beverages I have.

Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 3:56 PM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02
When I was young I would take pride in having a hundred options at my fingertips. Now I see I can cover almost all the bases with a half a handful of baits. Wink

Post Your Comment
2/3/15 @ 1:11 PM
FVLuke
FVLuke
USER since 8/31/12
This was too funny to pass and not comment!! so I have about 20+ bro-bugs gill getters some tear drops in a few colors ,Oh and Gill pills. But despite all of that last year My 6 year old daughter Had to have some perch colored northland slurpies. She just crushed me a couple of days..and she wouldn't share!! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 9:37 PM
gillipripper
gillipripper
USER since 1/3/15
If you are fishing 30 fow a tungsten will get you down a lot faster. It helps when you are hole hopping. I don't think fish like tungsten any better though. I also think tungsten helps with coils in your line so you can detect bites easier. That's just me though.

Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 4:02 AM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02
I find it hard to beat the older style moon glitter, The thinner ones wit a curve, hard for me to find lately. They are killers. I REALLY DON'T GET THIS TUNGSON CRASE. I have some and find no advantage and can do better on the glitters. What is the advantage to the heavy jig? Many fish come up with a bait or hit a slow fall; it seems like you miss these bites with Tungson. I could be stuck in my ways, but I always have fish in my bucket; when others have none.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 10:51 PM
gillipripper
gillipripper
USER since 1/3/15
Wow I am really impressed, you guys make me feel like I need to start buying! I think I'm going to show this to my girlfriend!

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 10:08 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
My go to bluegill jigs are dark purple or black teardrop-type jigs with black hackle around the shank. I've caught more fish on those than I could ever remember.

I could not tell you how many jigs I have. It would probably be easier to give you a weight in ounces. I usually buy a handful of whatever looks good when I'm at a new bait store and looking to pick the owner's brain a little. A few extra dollars spent usually goes a long way. Many jigs in my box have never seen the water. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 9:59 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
My panfish box is now one square in my large plano with my spoons and raps. Probly about 20 of my favorites just lumped together. I almost always use a hexi fly in either natural color or firetiger like color. If one of those 2 don't work the lake is dead in my opinion.... one wIll always work. The problem is usually if they want spikes, waxies, mousies, or plastic.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 8:46 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
So much stuff works that has been available for years - decades,even - that I have finally been able to stop looking at the new baits that come out every year.

I still buy replacements but that's it.

That said,my panfish "extras" box contains hundreds and hundreds of jigs. My jigging rap collection is close to 200. Spoon box? I never even bothered trying to estimate.

I have five 11x14 Plano boxes in a milk crate. They're all pretty full.... That's my "extras"...although one of those boxes is spring bobbers and extra tippy lights and fast-snaps and tiny swivels and...

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 8:39 AM
cousincarmody
cousincarmody
USER since 2/9/10
I've been using a size 2 orange uv glow jigging rap with some success this year. My other go-to this year has been a red Wolfram with glow eyes.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts