worst year ever

3/12/15 @ 12:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Well, with the ice fishing season over for me now I can honestly say it was, without a doubt, my worst ice season in recent memory. I did not get out quite as much, but I heard similar reports from others who fish several times a week. Here is hoping the spring is much better. WALLEYES AND COHOS!!! Evil Grin
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
3/22/15 @ 2:30 PM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
Agreed I went 5-6 times only caught fish half that and have been struggling to get time to go one last time.

Post Your Comment
3/17/15 @ 6:26 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I probably don't ice fish nearly as much as most of you guys, but I had a good 'year'. Although my year normally consists of a couple trips up to northern WI to a lake that has never disappointed, and a handful of trips out to my home lake. Only got up north once this winter....but fishing was great and the weather was awesome!

Post Your Comment
3/17/15 @ 5:01 PM
kabeer
kabeer
USER since 12/8/05
Meh, it wasn't the worst for me but not the best either. I did well for gills Nov-Jan. The best fishing for me came from a private pond loaded with bass that the owner wanted thinned out. We had 32 flags and 5 tip downs in 5 hours and was probably the best fishing I've ever had. We took 8 legal bass and iced a bonus catfish and some crappie that the owner wanted released. In January i found a small body of water that yielded two limits of very nice 8-9 inch gills and I spent the rest of winter looking for other diamonds in the rough. None of them produced even close to this. In February fishing and the weather got TOUGH. The gills were where I thought they would be, but they just wouldn't hit. Missed the last ice bite due to a damn cold. Glad to have some nice weather finally, but can't wait to do some scouting and prepping for next year. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 11:42 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Not a very good year for me. Even with the early start, I only made it out probably 6-8 times, and over half of those trips were skunks. Total tally for the season was two walleyes from Winnebago. Although I was fortunate enough to experience something I never have before...getting stuck in snow drifts...twice lol. What a pita.

Oh well...at least I can get my boat out earlier than ever before.

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 8:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I had a good year, but had to work at times. This past weekend I probably drilled 50 holes before I found fish. Not my best year, not my worst. I'd have done better but many times I took out my 2 kids (1 and 2) and it took a lot of work to get things setup for them and if we were not on fish right away, I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of moving again. Normally I don't stop drilling until I find fish, but kids fall in holes LOL.

Edited on 3/16/15 8:57 AM
Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 8:25 AM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
30 years on the ice, this year was one of the toughest. One motor mouth bragged about his best year ever, limited out over a dozen times. I watched the 5 inch gills, and 7 inch crappies go in his bucket, heard about the 7 pound bass he was catching. Reminds me of the sign in the local bait shop, "All fisherman are liars except you and me, And I'm not too sure about you".

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 7:36 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I fished everywhere from southwest, south central south east, north east and far northern Wisconsin. Every region produced.

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 7:32 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Perhaps it has a lot to do with where I live and the lakes around me. I am in far SE Wisconsin and rarely travel more than an hour to ice-fish. One of the lakes I love is not really all that pressured, but did not cough up the fish like years past. Trying to find lakes near me that are not hammered is an exercise in futility to some degree. I would think living in areas that have lakes subject to very little pressure would be in one's favor, or just being willing to travel, explore, burn gas to find a few of these lakes. I am just not going to do that. I save my time, money, and energy for my boat and open water. Hats off to those who put in the time and are rewarded. As for me, I am hoping to put an absolute smack-down on the Coho salmon this year. Fun to catch, close by and deeeeeeelicious! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 8:44 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
The past three years were exceptional. This year has been something different, it's been better than exceptional. First time out was opening day of deer season and it started off strong with a 33 and 37 inch pike jigging. Unless I can squeeze another trip in somewhere very soon yesterday was the last time out and I got into a pretty dang good pile of perch. In between there was a 27 inch walleye and multiple days of crappies and bluegills with a few more solid pike mixed in. Never hit a mid season slump at all. To top it off, my wife insisted that I let her buy me a power auger of my own choosing if it meant I could get out more. She loves fish and all it took was me bringing home two meals for us and voila....pretty solid ice fishing season that I wished would never end.

Post Your Comment
3/14/15 @ 11:43 AM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
Had a fine year as always. Mainly target crappie and nothing else. Though do get plenty of gills also. My interest in ice fishing dwindles more and more every year however. Usually I'm sick of drilling g holes and pulling any fish though them. I usually go all out until the end of January then start really itching for open water and fishing from the boat.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts