Wigglers

1/23/16 @ 5:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
NONSENSE, lots of bait shops carry wigglers all winter long. I cannot help the original poster for the Miss. River area, but suggest calling bait shops around there or along your travel route. I have found some places carry wigglers dead and preserved in oil or anise solution. I prefer live ones, and the larger the better, best bait for perch. For live ones got to change the water daily and pick out deadies.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
1/27/16 @ 11:06 AM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
Both of you are correct. Hellgramites are dobsonfly nymphs, but dragonfly nymphs are often sold by bait shops and incorrectly labeled as "hellgramites".

Neither are wigglers. Also heard dragonfly nymphs called thunderbugs before.

sc

Post Your Comment
1/26/16 @ 9:01 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Aren't they dragonflies?

Post Your Comment
1/25/16 @ 11:36 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I buy them in Minocqua all the time in winter, common perch bait.

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 9:54 PM
fhnb92
fhnb92
MEMBER since 1/23/09
Used to fish with nothing but wigglers. They were the go to bait on the Chain O'lakes in antioch during the 70's and early 80's for yellow bass. We would catch many types of fish with them. Haven't used them for at least 8 years. I don't know prices in Wi. but they were getting expensive.Jim

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 11:33 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER since 12/26/10
Tri-State in LaCrescent should have them.Maybe Bob's bait?

Post Your Comment
1/23/16 @ 7:20 PM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
Wigglers are available in the winter. They are dug from the mud in rivers. They are getting very hard to find since restrictions were placed on what rivers they can be dug from. They are very common on the eastern side of Wisconsin, but I have never seen them over here in the western part of the state.

Post Your Comment
1/23/16 @ 6:47 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Agree 100% with the last post. You can find them in some places as early as late October through early May. Mayflies are not only found in the south. Not sure where that idea came from. When large hatches are occurring you can often see walleyes gorging themselves on the things.

Post Your Comment