Where do I start

2/19/15 @ 11:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
recon033
recon033
USER since 9/30/12
I will be fishing a small family lake. Its about 25 acres and from what I know a mud/muck bottom. We are the only people on the lake so what I know is from what I fish. I mostly bass fish there in the summer there not much else. I've never had a depth finder on the lake but know its 20-25 feet at its deepest point. I am looking to target bluegills but we get the occasional crappie and perch out there. How do I go about this? Just drill holes everywhere? Start over the two weed beds I know of in 10 fow? I have never ice fished it before and I am a tip up fisherman at heart. I guess its not huge so I could drill holes until I'm blue in the face, did I just answer my own question?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
2/22/15 @ 3:23 PM
recon033
recon033
USER since 9/30/12
The only concern I have about the deepest area is its not a very big hole and I'm unsure of structure down there. I will start there, I have a sonar to bring and I guess I'll move from there. The average depth of the lake is probably 10-12 feet.

Post Your Comment
2/20/15 @ 9:48 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Honestly you're best bet right now is just go to the deepest area of the lake right now. Without a locator even you should be able to get fish easy if they are eating. A foot or 2 off bottom should be a good starting point. At this time of year fish relate more to the basin rather then the probably dead weeds. Even bass will usually just loaf around the bottom. Pike on the other hand you're better off fishing near any possible spawning areas. Marshy areas..... I don't think it would be to difficult. Start deep and work shallower rather the other way round.

Post Your Comment
2/20/15 @ 9:30 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Don't need to drill holes until you're blue in the face. One tankfull in the power auger ought'a do it....j/k

Sample everything. First I'd drill a few holes over the weeds,clean out the holes and look down. Can you see standing green weeds? Brown? Murky water,weeds laying down and nasty looking?...Then I'd do a large grid of holes in the basin. Let it rest a bit then go thru with the locator.

Post Your Comment