Where did my crappies go?

5/15/15 @ 11:39 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Yooper transplant
Yooper transplant
USER since 12/23/13
I moved to Hawkins WI, last fall and found a decent ice fishing lake not far from where I live. I had several good days ice fishing, and a couple awesome days catching crappies last winter. The good days where in the mid winter time and the awesome days were in the late winter. The last two times I was on the ice I caught my limit in under four hours. Now it is spring and I thought I would do really well fishing from my boat. I have been out twice with no success. I have tried the shallow bays close to shore and nothing. I have covered all the deepwater with my electronics and cant even mark a fish. The lake is fed by a small shallow creek so I know that they still have to be in there. I have since found better fishing on different lakes, but I am curious where are my crappies hiding in the spring? Has anyone had the same thing happen to them?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
5/26/15 @ 8:33 PM
crappie-day
crappie-day
USER since 5/27/14
Killing them in 8' of water. Here is this mornings catch

Post Your Comment
5/23/15 @ 8:44 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Our Crappies were gone yesterday too, but we didn't go to deep water. We searched every shallow area on our favorite lake, which was probably 15 or so areas. We were pooped out so did a quick booze cruise and headed home. Some days are like that. Tight lines

Post Your Comment
5/19/15 @ 10:02 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
That was what i was thinking. But didn't wanna be the bad guy cds Lol!

Post Your Comment
5/19/15 @ 7:46 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I'd never heard of Hawkins WI so I googled-up a map. It looks like many of the lakes in the area are smallish impoundments.

And no lakes of any real size close by - especially that aren't flowage/reservoir lakes.

Location really changes in reservoir-type lakes between winter and spring.

If it was one of the little lakes in the area,those small waterbodies can really take a hit from fishing. If you weren't the only guy who was fishing them and the fish were all concentrated - say,in the deepest part of a small basin - then they COULD have (almost) all gone to hot grease heaven.

Post Your Comment
5/16/15 @ 6:05 PM
wale
wale
USER since 2/12/13
They might be suspended out in the deep water too

Post Your Comment
5/15/15 @ 8:29 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I would look for wood in shallows right now then deep wood later later in June.

Post Your Comment