Where are you catching fish?? Shallow? Deep?

1/14/16 @ 12:28 AM
ORIGINAL POST
jtetx12
jtetx12
USER since 2/1/11
I want to know current locations and lures that are working not lakes you are fishing on... I have been out once a few days ago and we struggled to mark any fish but we found some in shallow, like 5-8 ft and they were mostly dinks.. didnt matter what jig we presented they would bite the same... I don't see much useful info as to where guys are finding them and what they are getting bites on. I am going tomorrow and we will be fishing at night for crappies and gills and tend to find them in the deepest depths 20-24 ft and we have best luck with glow jigs. We also drop in a pole with a minnow about 6 ft off the bottom and this seems to work well to bring in fish or get them off the bottom and then pull minnow out of the way and present the glow with a plastic or waxie and catch the fish... I am sure others use this technique be we have found it very effective. Occasionally they will bite minnow but more times than not they miss it or cant get in their mouths, hence the bait and switch. Anyways- i look forward to hearing how others are doing and I'll report back after tomorrows excusion.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
1/16/16 @ 9:19 AM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
Down in SE WI we just receintly got walkable ice. Fish are generally (but not always) shallow, and not out in basin areas like they normally would be in the middle of January

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 4:34 PM
jtetx12
jtetx12
USER since 2/1/11
So we fished last night from 6pm till 11 and ended up with 17 caught and 12 kept. We were in 20-24ft of water and the only color that seemed to work was the green glow with red spikes. We also use waxies and plastics but little to no success. We found that pounding the bottom seemed to at least bring fish in, but it did not mean a bite. We also found that large spoons jigged aggressively would bring in fish but they would not bite.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 12:18 PM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02
20FOW all over the water column from 5 ft down to right on bottom. Deep basin part of the lake.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 11:53 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I've been out twice and caught fish shallow both times but that was the result of not having good enough ice to venture out over deeper water. Those that were able to get out deep before last week's rain on the lakes I fished couldn't get a sniff out there. Those that stayed in skinny water did ok.

This is definitely not a year (yet) where you can fish based on the calendar. We'd typically be in mid winter mode by now but with first ice being so late it's different. You need to go by the age of the ice and not what day the calendar says.

Post Your Comment