LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Whatcha Using to Keep Your Tooties Toasty?

9/21/18 @ 1:44 PM
INITIAL POST
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

With all the advances in footwear for cold and extreme cold, it's always cool to see what everybody is using and why.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
12/7/18 @ 4:58 PM
WolfRiverCCW.com
User since 12/7/18

Genius!

12/7/18 @ 4:53 PM
WolfRiverCCW.com
User since 12/7/18

I had an old pair of heavy Hodgman boots that I got from Sportsmen's Guide years ago. They were the only thing that would keep my feet warm when deer hunting or ice fishing. They got so worn and beat up that I fiinally looked for another pair of "expedition-grade" cold-weather boots. Cabela's had a lot online but nothing in their Green Bay store (so much for World's Foremost Outfitter), so I ordered a pair of clearance Baffins through Walmart's website. Baffin is made in Canada and they make about 20 levels of boots (this is the same brand of boot used in South Pole expeditions). The amazing part is they are lightweight! They are fantastic. I got a deal on these, but you can't go wrong with Baffin. I had to order one full size larger (13 instead of my normal 12), per other users. I still slip a set of sticky toe warmers between my two layers of heavy socks for insurance. 

Check them out, guys! Good luck and be safe on the ice!

12/7/18 @ 8:19 AM
StorminNormin1957
User since 2/6/17

I use Irish Setter 1200 gram Thinsulate boots for normal conditions.  I also have Field and Stream knee high insulated waterproof boots, for wet slushy conditions when I used to deer hunt, or late ice sloppy conditions, but both boots are size 11 1/2 when I wear size 10 shoes.  You need wiggle room for your toes.  Thin wicking socks (NOT cotton) with wool socks over them.  However, after having frost bitten toes many times as a kid (50 years ago when gear wasn't as good as today) my feet are really sensitive to cold (look-up chilblains; it's bad), I had to get serious.  Finally bought some Thermacell heated insoles this year.  Tried them 4 times so far and am satisfied.  4+ hours on medium.  Extra set of rechargeable batteries would get you 8-10 hours.  I took the original boot insoles out to allow room for the Thermacell.  No more need to stick one-use "toasty toes" on my socks.  Hope this helps.

11/14/18 @ 10:56 PM
karl58
User since 7/27/13

Any body know where to find warm/water proof boots for big feet??

I wear size 16, but some brand I fit a size 15. 

11/11/18 @ 1:27 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

I bought some Cabela's stand hunters last winter. First boot I've had that kept my feet warm however yesterday bowhunting got a little chilled just sitting.   Ice fishing moving around a bit no problem.  Got them in the bargin cave for 70 bux in never used condition.   I also have neoprene socks that are awesome if your boots are big enough to wear them

11/2/18 @ 8:33 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"So what do you do when the snow starts to pile up and gets slushy underneath? To me waterproof is just as important and warmth."

Ditto, I fish a lot in slush, Gore-Tex or nothing for me. I've run non-Gore-tex boots that say they're waterproof, not really.

11/2/18 @ 7:02 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Sorel Glacier XT

I know everyone is different but the first thing to get cold on me is fingers or toes. These things are incredible and I've found that my feet will sweat if I'm hole hoping even on the coldest of days. I've sat thru some pretty rough days on Bago and never felt I needed anything more than a basic cotton sock, wool socks were too much.

10/2/18 @ 2:05 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

"La Crosse Ice Kings. 'nuf said."

So what do you do when the snow starts to pile up and gets slushy underneath? To me waterproof is just as important and warmth.

10/2/18 @ 12:38 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

La Crosse Ice Kings.  'nuf said.

10/2/18 @ 11:43 AM
Paintball1084
Paintball1084
User since 1/2/10

when its real cold i wear my Mickeys, warmest boot i have ever owned.  when its not real cold i grab my Baffin Icebreakers.  I find my feet sweating in my Mickeys if its above 20 degrees.  

9/27/18 @ 10:19 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Good to know, I know they're warm but being waterproof is equally important. Haven't had a problem getting wet in my I3s yet, even in pouring rain last season. Might stick with them awhile longer.

Have you been happy with the Cabela's guidewear Xtreme so far?

9/26/18 @ 3:16 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I was using a Striker Hardwater suit. Great suit and no problem with getting wet drilling holes and such but if I kneeled to fish all day I got wet. 

First sent the bibs back to the factory to get reworked and still leaked, then they replaced them and still got wet in the new ones.

My fishing partner and I each won our choice of Striker suits in a tournament last year. I'll be picking up a new Climate suit to sell to somebody.

Certainly not bashing them, just not the best for my type of fishing.

9/26/18 @ 12:42 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Fish hound - what kind of suit were you using prior to the Cabelas guidewear? Any idea how that stuff compares to the Striker Climate suites? Downfall is no floatation but that's not the end of the world. Planning on upgrading from the Frabill I3s within the next couple years.

9/25/18 @ 4:28 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I'm usually always hole hopping and kneeling next to the hole so toes are in the snow and slush. I have gotten cold toes in the past which is why I went warm and waterproof.

Late last year I also ditched all the other leaky suits and went with the Cabelas Guidewear Extreme with Gore-Tex.

9/25/18 @ 3:39 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I usually just wear a heavier type of boot or one with decent insulation.  Its not like deer hunting where I sit in one place all day long.  I hole hop, throw a football, etc.  Guess I use physical activity to keep my feet warm more so than any special boot or sock combo.  Can't honestly think of one time my feet got cold unless I stepped in a hole.  Usually my issue is more my hands if I'm not wearing gloves while jigging.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE