WHAT TYPE OF GREASE DO I USE FOR TIP UPS?

1/5/15 @ 9:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
LIPRIPR
LIPRIPR
USER since 3/15/03
I guess the topic says it all. Is there a specific grease I can use besides the little 2 oz. tube that I can't find.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
1/15/15 @ 8:48 PM
Ice Junky
Ice Junky
USER since 8/21/09
I sent mine real old ones to BD for a re-lube and a once over some years back - I think it was $6ea at that time. Pricy but I had confidence they were 100%. Still going strong.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 11:53 AM
treetalker
treetalker
USER since 12/19/13
Its called Blue lube at gander mountain or good bait shops

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 11:19 PM
LIPRIPR
LIPRIPR
USER since 3/15/03
JAMESD DO NOT USE MARINE GREASE. That is the reason I had to post here. I used the same logic and my tip ups barely spun. The grease for your axle is a high temperature lube that thins as heat builds up in the hub. I knew that and still made the mistake. I thoroughly cleaned bore and shafts and found some beaver dam grease at Walmart. Worked well this weekend, and it was cold.

Post Your Comment
1/8/15 @ 8:17 AM
dad and daughter
dad and daughter
USER since 6/9/06
Farm&fleet carries frabill sub zero lubricant

Sub Zero Lubricant Blain # 466807 | Mfr # 1669 | This product is stocked seasonally

????? Write a review . This action will open a modal dialog. Ask a Question Get fast answers from people who own this! See 1 question | 1 answer $6.29 Quantity:

Ship this Item - Available online. Ships to an address via FedEx, USPS or Ground Freight. Eligible for Economy Shipping

Reserve for Pickup at Watertown, WI - Only 5 left in store. Hours/Map | Change Local Store

Post Your Comment
1/8/15 @ 8:10 AM
fisheswithU2
fisheswithU2
USER since 4/29/14
Some people swear by the HT blue lube. I've never been willing to contaminate one of my BDs with it but it works alright on my other tip ups. The Frabill grease works alright too. I repacked 2 BDs last year and 3 this year using the BD grease and no issues yet. I also have 3 tip ups I bought 12 years ago and they spin like the dickens. They don't make anything like they used to.

Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 10:01 AM
Rusty Duck
Rusty Duck
USER since 12/5/13
I personally didn't have good luck with the BD brand grease. I did them last year before first ice and they seem to be getting slower already. As stated my dad has his 25 yr old bd and has never re packed them and there smooth as silk. I will be looking for an alternative and will report back.

Post Your Comment
1/6/15 @ 6:04 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I would think any synthetic grease would work. It's usually thinner than regular grease.

Post Your Comment
1/6/15 @ 6:00 PM
Team Crap Eye
Team Crap Eye
USER since 1/24/09
Beaver dam brand grease will work. Shouldn't need to grease very often, especially on a high quality tip up.

Post Your Comment
1/6/15 @ 5:55 PM
Stevekeno
Stevekeno
USER since 12/21/08
Guess I must be an odd ball, had my beaver dams for well over 20 years and never greased them yet, still work fine!! I always bring them in the house to dry after each trip...

Post Your Comment
1/6/15 @ 9:01 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the same water resistant lube I use for the submersible hubs of my boat trailer work as well as frabill grease? I haven't tried it yet so I wonder what others think.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts