What happens to the minnow?

3/23/14 @ 6:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Maybe I've had too much time to think on the ice....but I'm wondering what happens to the minnow upon catching a pike, walleye etc.... Sometimes I see the tail sticking out of the fish's throat and once in a while the minnow is still on the hook in the fish's mouth, but usually, there is no minnow and the hook is in the fish. Did the minnow swim off, or get gobbled up that quick??? Any opinions. Again, I've probably had too much time to think about something so irrelevant, but it got me thinking...
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
3/28/14 @ 8:45 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Most often it's gone. I'd assume another fish eats it.

The last two batches of minnows I bought contained sticklebacks. I doubt the sticklebacks had undergone any VHS testing.

I had thought of this question years ago when the VHS fraud began. One part of the law is not to release any fish that did not originate from that particular waterbody. The only way to completely adhere to that is to not use live minnows for bait. The WDNR knows that. If it was only about VHS they would have completely banned the use of live minnows for bait.

Some in the bait industry were eager to find a pretense to have wild baitminnow harvest stopped. Mission accomplished.

Post Your Comment
3/27/14 @ 5:09 PM
Meiz
Meiz
USER since 10/9/09
Heck yeah, piker_biker. If we discover dead or dying minnows when we're out checking the tip ups, my pocketknife goes right to the minnow's belly. Get that minnow guts juice in the water.

Edited on 3/27/14 5:16 PM
Post Your Comment
3/26/14 @ 5:29 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
If it's on the hook or in the fishes mouth it goes back in the water! I love using bitten minnows. They seem to produce larger fish for whatever reason. Too bad you can't take them with you when you leave. Honestly I'd say more often the minnow is in the fishes mouth than it gets shaken off in my experience. Crazy how they can have chunks of flesh missing but will swim perfect. Just a constant tail kick but not going crazy.

Post Your Comment
3/23/14 @ 7:31 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
It goes to minnow heaven.

Really n.pike you over think these thinks too much. The minnow can only be in one of two places... either it's still hooked and on/in the fish, or it got shook lose during the fight. I don't think there are real many cases where the minnow was consumed by a fish and then you hook it in the mouth. It's more likely that after a fish is hooked the minnow gets spit, but my vote goes to shook lose during the fight.

Post Your Comment
3/23/14 @ 6:35 PM
The Outdoorskid
The Outdoorskid
USER since 1/16/12
i think most of the time they are swallowed because i have missed walleyes and then caught walleyes and they had more than one minnow in it that i was using on tipups lol or i have seen em fall off

Post Your Comment