What do you think?

2/14/15 @ 7:54 AM
ORIGINAL POST
moon-glo
moon-glo
USER since 11/6/09
On our local lake their are three or four spots to fish that are popular for catching panfish. What is unique about each of these spots is the fact that the fish are concentrated in about a 10 foot square area. At one spot there are two of these areas...one in deeper water, one in shallower water. So one afternoon I went to the shallower spot where there was noone fishing. There were three guys in the deep hole about 100 yds away. I had to open up three old holes that were frozen over. Soon I began to catch fish from each hole. Suddenly a guy comes from the deep spot and begins fishing in the three holes that I had opened up. I told him that I want those three holes and he can have the rest of the lake. He says he doesn't need the rest of the lake and begins cutting holes all around me in roughly four feet of water. Soon the fish were gone. Do I have a right to be upset?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/26/15 @ 12:32 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
The Regulations pamphlet does not contain any information regarding how close you can or can't fish to someone else.

Get yourself a flipover shack - easy to set up, easy to tear down. Nobody sees you pulling in fish, nobody joins you. (My Dad has 2 Frabill Ranger Solo's for sale.)

From your description, sounds possibly like there are cribs in those spots?

Several lakes around Eau Claire have cribs and people have them marked on GPS - each year it's a race to set their permanents down right over them, then they "own" that spot until shacks have to come off.

Not right, but not illegal.

Next time, if the action is too fast to use 3 lines, put an unbaited line down the other 2 holes.

Post Your Comment
2/26/15 @ 10:12 AM
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
while i dont agree with jb turltes last comment about folowing the guy around that would drag you down to the spot stealers level i do agre you have the right to be angry but is there a need? at the end of the day was it worth it? some peoples morals and ethics are always going to be less than what most peoples are dont let some ahole ruin your day i would try to get as much info as i can (name, license plate number, how close he pounded holes etc) that i could and call a local warden i have a permanent on shawano and some guy plopped his shack within spitting distance but we talked and worked it out between us so it end up well same with open water fishing on bago the reefs can be productive but crowded

Edited on 2/26/15 10:22 AM
Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 7:51 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
You have the right to get mad about amything, but when you are out to have a good time and relax, what's the point. I chose to not let random strange have that kind of control over me. the other day we had 3 holes spaced about 10 feet apart. A guy pulled up the last hole in his car, jumped out of his car and set up over the hole we had been using and drilled. I dont even think this guy had an auger. We just laughed at the guy and went about fishing. Getting mad would have accomplished nothing.

Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 6:48 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
Totally justified to be angry. My group of buddies (who are all under 26) fish together quite often. It's sad that we have more respect than the people who invade us, who are usually much older than us. I've just learned to use a shanty when jigging. Also fish spots on the main lake or small secluded lakes if possible. I started doing all of these things because I go fishing for the peace and enjoyment. Not to be angered by others actions and rudeness.

One other thing I've noticed is there are at least a few people who have seen the different cars in our group and have followed us to more than a few places. Places we'd never seen another soul. Places that everyone thinks suck and have a one star rating or no reports on LL. Heck even places the DNR and LL don't know exist. They've followed us. SE WI is a tough place to fish. Lots of fisherman but even more followers. Six months until I'm done with school and I'll be running to northern Ontario or The Dakotas. 7 months of ice fishing baby!

Also if he was within 5-10 feet call the warden. That's harassment of a fisherman. At least in WI. Just went over this a week ago with the warden. There's no set distance it's the wardens discretion, but I'd say 5 feet most wardens would issue a ticket. At least I'd hope so.

Edited on 2/15/15 6:52 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 8:09 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
no one owns the lake and you can not fix stupid is my thoughts on this. some people have no sportsman like blood in them at all. they follow the guy that is catching fish and then go brag to there buddies on how they slammed em today. i have seen this way to many times on big bodies of water and sad to say it is never going to change. my advice is to find several good lakes/honey holes and when this happens pack it in and move on. i used to get very upset at people doing this now i just smile and leave and on to the next spot. not worth getting angry over. but you had every right to be mad about it. i have just been that guy way to many times to let it get to me anymore. some lakes this is just the norm ie (poygan). once it is safe to drive it is like a 3 ring circus out there with fisherman playing follow the leader, it is almost just as much fun to bring out a 12 pack and watch the show as it is catching fish.

Edited on 2/14/15 8:11 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 8:08 AM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
A large segment of the ice fishing population has no idea how to find fish at all, or are just too plain lazy. So it never surprises me at all when somebody starts fishing near me when I had the spot to myself. Trying to be as reasonable as possible here- I might look the other way if somebody drops a line down one of my old holes if its a fair distance from my current location. I dont own the whole lake. Sounds like this hole was very close to you, tho. Strike one against this guy. He should have at least asked you first to fish a hole you were obviously still using. Then to come back and drill holes right around you, in shallow water??? Strike two and three, you're way out of line, @$$hole. You had every right to be angry with this guy. So the fish stopped biting? It would have been fun to follow HIM around and drill holes all around HIM after that, and see how he likes it

Post Your Comment