Upper Red Lake Ice house rental

12/15/14 @ 2:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
CRSTLNR1750
CRSTLNR1750
USER since 4/25/06
I am researching on heading to Upper Red, and looking for a sleeper rental house. Never fished there before and I am just looking for info on some resorts that rent the houses. Which resort(s) have a good reputation? Can put somebody on fish? Please include any experiences (good & bad). Please PM if you wish. Thank you.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
12/16/14 @ 8:43 PM
Walleye Fisher
Walleye Fisher
USER since 3/28/05
I went to Upper Red for five? straight years at the end of February, and had a blast each time. The first time we went we hooked up with a guy named Pete. He was an older gentleman that handed his business over to his nephew? Cookie. Didn't have a great experience with Cookie so moved on and hooked up with Chad Benson, and have gone through him each time since. We had one year where fishing was slow, and Chad pulled the shack and moved it down to Cass Lake so we could get some decent perch fishing in the last day of our trip. Needless to say the lack of fish wasn't because of a lack of effort from our guide.

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 4:36 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
Rodgers also charges a road pass of 10-15 to cover plowed roads or if you get stuck to help you out. Porta villa includes generators with there shacks and they have heated 6x8 bathrooms. Or the Salem ice cabins have a bathroom in the inside v of the shack. Have been in all there units and the salem's are the way to go. Brad Hawthorne also guides on red through Porta villa. Check out some of his YouTube vids he will get you on fish.

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 3:33 PM
Poison
Poison
USER since 3/2/10
Went out of West Wind via Bear Paw guide service last season and had a great time. The guys were very friendly and we were checked on at least twice a day.

Some general observations I had were, had to pay a $10/day road pass to get out there. Roads were in great shape and I had no problem taking my car out there. Wish we would've had a generator. If you don't plan on bringing a generator you should bring a deep cycle battery and a backup flasher battery. Fish cleaning station at West Wind is decent and their bait prices were OK. Didn't eat but the bar food at West Wind looked good. If you don't like having a cold butt you should bring a little heater for the shared crapper.

Have fun and good luck! Hopefully I get back out to MN for a trip like that again next year.

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 3:12 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
bear paw, outdoor authority, porta villa. call rodgers resort and they will set you up with an available outfitter but most likely all will be filled up by now. do a week long ice trip every year and i book in early july as they fill up by the end of november. there will be availabilitys but with not so good outfitters. best fishing is early ice into the first couple weeks of january. so so after that.

have only stayed with porta villa, just remember that the houses are not always on fish and they typically only move all houses at 1 time. bring portables and drills along to move and find fish if need be. if you can prove you have a good spot they will most likely move your sleeper to that spot. plus at sundown into dark you can get on some very nice fish in close if the sleepers are out in deeper water. chris at porta villa will do all he can to make sure you have a great trip. i have also head tyler at bear paw is a very class act and is usually the first soul on the ice every year. and also does all he can to make sure you have a great trip on red. danny at outdoor authority is also a class act. have talked to him at rodgers refilling the minnow bucket and having a beer or two. good luck red is an awesome walleye factory always have a great week up there even if fishing is slow. some very very big northerns in this lake as well.

Edited on 12/15/14 3:18 PM
Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 2:27 PM
Gehrig
Gehrig
USER since 4/6/13
BEAR PAW GUIDES

Post Your Comment