Unwritten Rules of Ice Fishing

1/12/16 @ 4:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
What are some things that you feel are important as far as courtesy when ice fishing?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 49 Posts
2/3/16 @ 8:24 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Fowl. Congratulations to you for your generosity towards your fellow sportsmen and their children. You obviously need to hear that.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 9:55 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Wow brow, you really need a hobby, get out and do some of this stuff us sportsman are doing. That way you could share some knowledge and have a conversation or a DISAGREEMENT with someone here and actually understand what we're discussing. Not just randomly jump in our discussions and add NOTHING, other than interruptions. Well, when I have time to look around on LL, i see you do post some stupid cartoons or a random caption once in a while, other than arguing with someone. What a joke. And yes, it was a legit misunderstanding and I explained. So what? Unlike you, I'll man up when I am wrong. And thank you for the compliment, sometimes I am wonderful. Lol. Have another "unwritten rule" #2. if you don't actually have any experience or time ice fishing. you shouldn't voice a opinion on the ice fishing forum.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 4:59 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Brow tine, you sure remind me of drake wood duck or one of the other ten names you.... oops, I mean he went with? Just trolling around looking to engage in a argument, has really no info to offer, posting stupid links, random comments, bored, with a bunch of time to waste and nothing better to do? And what bro, you still mad about the waterfowl thing? Lol. Anyways, bugle, I do show respect and courtesy. Multiple times I have invited guys in that are around me or came to talk, to come in and warm up. Usually I'm cooking pizza rolls for kids that mine met and playing with. It's ice fishing? It's fun and relax time, it's not night walleye fishing, deer, turkey or waterfowl hunting. I set the shanty always off the beaten path, some unpopular drop off and weed line. Bring my younger kids out and let them pull up hammer handles and dink pannies all day. All about getting the kids hooked. Food, radio, dog, games and sled. I don't want to be by anyone and screw up someone's fishing. SO ONE OF THE UNWRITTEN RULES. - NOT EVERY SHANTY SITTING WAY OFF IN SOME CORNER ON THE LAKE, IS SPOT BLOCKIN A HOT HOLE. (Truly I'm trying to hide). And don't get mad at me when I bring a circus out and you decide to move away from your back rest/wind break, before i even said anything? And bugle I had no beef with you until your comment ....." I've gotten to the point where I don't care if they're in their shack or not. If I want to put a tip up near it, I'll just do it. I actually get a kick out of watching the owners get all uptight about it".  But now after reading your last post and your talking 50 away being close and a guy getting mad? Lol...yea, my "near it" and your "near it" are two different things! That's a different story.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 8:36 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
went fishing this weekend with my kids and I think an unwritten rule is if you see a family out fishing....don't scream F-Bombs at the top of our lungs while on the ice. It is not like I can just drive my boat away from your group once I have all our stuff setup.

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 8:25 PM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
Fishermen who can't produce the deed for the ice around the shack they claim to own. You may "own the ice inside the shack, but anywhere outside of the walls is open to fish by anyone. Don't like holes drilled right next to it, don't bring it out. I don't lean, litter, piss, touch, spit or give a shack the time of day, but if I have the area marked on my gps, well you can bet I will fish all around it. No, you won't see me there Friday, Saturday or Sunday, that's your time. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 6:38 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
There's a spring in the middle of a weedat that I used to fish a few times every winter....back before GPS and I had to triangulate.

Now it's easy to find: there's a shack on top of it all season. Several others circle it hoping to pick up stragglers but the opening in the weeds where the spring is,is THE spot.

I haven't fished there for years. By the time shanties have to be off the ice it's been so pounded it's not worth fishing.

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 6:32 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Plopping a plywood shack on top of a 10'x10' crib that has been fished by others right up until the ice is thick enough for the shanty may be legal but I can't imagine doing it myself...except I suppose when you could have done but chose instead to leave it open for everyone only to have someone else do it.

"Next year screw it".

Shacks on big weed lines or flats or reefs? No big deal. Shacks on tiny-but well known-pieces of structure?..especially if it's only used a couple days or nights per week?

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 12:05 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Thanks. I don't mean to come off as a jerk. I am very respectful of others. I would never drill holes feet away from someone's shanty if they were in it but would fish in the area if there's good structure there. Some shanty owners act like they own the 50 yards around their shanty. And my "don't go away mad" comment was directed at people that get all bent when they come out to a spot they've fished previously and get angry at me for being in "their" spot. I had that happen last week. If he would have come over and talked to me instead of ranting, accusing me of not being able to find my own spot and storming off, we both would have had a nice evening of catching fish. The walleyes were biting.

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 10:16 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Comparing beating someone to a spot by getting there earlier to staking claim to a spot for an entire season by plopping a shanty on it is completely asinine. I don't need the placement of a shanty to tell me where the fish are. I use lake maps and 35 years of experience for that. Problem is that when I find what looks to be a potentially good spot, there's a shanty parked on it with a territorial owner standing next to it. I've decided that my days of letting that deter me from fishing that spot are over. Fishing anywhere I want on public waters is legal. Don't hate the player, hate the game. You be sure to show that courteousy and respect to your fellow sportsmen as well.

Post Your Comment
1/30/16 @ 7:42 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Bugle trout says... "If I get up earlier than you and beat you to "your spot", don't go away mad, just go away."

He also said... "I would love to see permanent shacks get banned. The only purpose they serve other than to keep their occupants warm is to mark territory (SPOTS) on public waters."  Well bugle, appears someone built a shanty, loaded it up, hauled it out and beat you to "your" spot. Like you said.. don't go away mad, just go away. Might need to get up earlier next year, get that shanty built and out before the other guy?

Had to deal with a couple guys like you today. I go and put my shanty off the beaten path and still guys must fish next to it? Maybe your one of the guys that look for a permanent shanty and figure that must be a good spot and need to fish by it? Use it as a bathroom, wind break and back rest. THEN get mad at me that I'm coming out with my kids to use it? Unreal. At this point it's legal to have a shanty. So let's be courteous and have some respect for other sportsman. Don't hate the player hate the game.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 49 Posts