traveling on ice

2/23/16 @ 8:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
rmba
rmba
MEMBER since 7/1/10
I cant afford to buy both if you was to buy a ATV or a snowmobile what one it better and get more bang for the buck.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
3/7/16 @ 11:36 AM
PalmerTenderfoot
PalmerTenderfoot
USER since 3/7/16
ATV with tracks all day long. Add a winch and make a come-along bar if you get stuck, all good.

Post Your Comment
3/5/16 @ 3:43 PM
EUPYOOPERJIG
EUPYOOPERJIG
USER since 2/29/16
Atv all the way. I've buried a quad and buried a sled in the slush before, quads much easier to get out if you find yourself in that situation. And in my personal experiences, quads suffer far less issues mechanical wise than sleds. Get a 4x4 for sure, theres not much you can't get through with a good fourwheeler. I just bought a brand new 2013 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 last october and it's the best money I've ever spent. Aside from deep mud last fall, I haven't been able to get mine stuck...Yet. The 2 pics attached are from several years ago in the U.P. when I lived there. The sled sunk in the slush and we tried for 3 hours to get it out before the belt got wet and the track wouldnt budge, calling a friend in the area and he towed us out with his sled. The water trail pic was from my grandfather's quad, that we got out by backing up and plowing ahead over and over for about 10 minutes.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 10:38 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
When you can't use the snowmobile due to no snow on the ice at all,you can cover a lot of distance easily on foot.

When you MUST use a snowmobile - because a quad will get stuck - all the good spots any distance from shore are yours.

Well,almost,but there's very few guys out.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 7:47 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
ATV you can use all year if you have a place to use it all year. For ice fishing though I'd take a snowmobile in northern WI. I have an ATV and have buried it many times, it gets old. Years like this you'd be okay though, but the deep snow years you'd be screwed. Horse a piece I guess.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:19 AM
smartymielke
smartymielke
USER since 8/30/15
If you want the ability to drive anywhere, anytime, in any conditions there's only one answer. ARGO ARGO ARGO ARGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 5:56 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
Utv with tracks. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 5:10 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
I'd go with the ATV. Bare ice, tire chains. I do not take mine off. Deep snow is a problem. I looked and liked what the J Wheelz had going for them. A bit spendy, but it replaces an entire snowmobile. I know they do some good deals at the St Paul Ice Show in December.

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 4:20 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
ATV......You can use all year long. Cool

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 2:37 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
It all depends on the area you fish. If the snow is deep, forget the wheeler. They will bottom out and get stuck. Down here in central wisconsin, my wheeler works great. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 1:36 PM
whatsnew1978
whatsnew1978
USER since 1/24/14
Snowmobile all the way and check out the digger ice auger rack for it or make one. if it's glare ice or over 8" of snow the four wheeler will slow you down.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts