transporting flip over shacks

10/21/15 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Does anyone transport their flip over shack on a hitch hauler? They're obviously quite a bit narrower than the shack, but wondering if using plywood to extend the "cargo area" (as well as ratchet straps to secure it) is a good idea or not. This would mainly be for road transport, not necessarily on the ice.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
11/29/15 @ 8:29 AM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
USER since 7/21/01
When I had my Honda Civic coupe, I made a hitch hauler for my 2 man Fish Trap Yukon.. I had a travel cover to keep it dry.. worked great.. I don't use it any more I have a trailer now for my shanty and 3 wheeler.. Big Smile I still have the carrier.. I'd sell it.... IF any one is interested.. PM me

Jimmy AKA Sully

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 10:00 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
Or... get one that's big enough for the job. These things come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, some may include lighting or you can add a pair of trailer lights if needed. Problem is they get expensive and you'll have spent more on the carrier than the shack itself.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 2:36 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
Sorry for the crude drawing, but what if you configure your plywood platform crosswise like this:

Run a couple of 2x2s or 2x4s underneath the plywood to support the end that extends off the hauler frame, fasten to the hitch hauler, then figure out how to strap your shack to the plywood.

This way you won't block the lights.

Edit: If you use 2x4s, you can cut 1" slits in them to fit over the hauler frame and prevent it from sliding forward/back, and if you make it the same width as your hauler, it won't slide sideways either.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 2:09 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Hmm...hadn't considered that. Good point.

I suppose a set of trailer lights could be added to hang underneath the plywood.

Beginning to wonder if finding a cheap trailer might be the way to go.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 9:40 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I think that would work. It won't block your lights will it? Mrt.

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 7:44 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
The position I'm in is I only have a Ford Explorer and my daughter is too young to ride in the front seat while on the road, so I don't have enough room in the back for it. I currently have a pop up, but it can be a bit of a pain to run and gun on Winnebago. I considered the salt/slush aspect, but figure a tarp can be wrapped around it before strapping it down. I've just never seen anyone with an extended"aftermarket" platform on one of those before.

Of course, this is all assuming I ever wind up with one lol.

Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 5:32 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have a homemade hitch hauler that I can put my Frabil Commando in and strap it down. I also have a travel cover for my shack. The only time I use it is if the ATV trailer is being used and I have to put our other ATV in the back of my truck.

Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 3:20 PM
Gone 4 Now
Gone 4 Now
USER since 4/26/08
Yuck ! No way I would put my shack on one of those. Think of all the road slop and salt it will collect ! Just like the people that put their deer on a hitch rack and drive 100 miles down the highway , You don't have to season the meat then I guess !

Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 2:25 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
you can buy those racks to be 32" deep x 48" wide which would leave you only a about six inches extending off each size depending on shanty, and weight should not be issue.

Post Your Comment