Transducer under the ice

12/19/15 @ 7:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lizardbreath
Lizardbreath
USER since 12/7/15
No ice here yet.... But as a newbe I was wondering if the transducer being completely under the bottom of the ice (as opposed to just down the hole a ways) effect the accuracy/sensitivity and proper function of my sonar unit? Can anybody help with this info?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
1/1/16 @ 10:44 PM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02
I fish mine both ways depending on what is working that day on that lake,prefer tight to the float so I can get it out of the way,sounds like you might be haveing a problem with yours some times you get scum build up on the face of your transducer wet it and clean it off with your palm then dry it with a soft cloth ,on the ice that for me is my shirt right above the belt keep it clear of zippers and buttons if that fails and lowering it below the ice fails to work battery is weak or transducer is defective barring a def or dirty switch, I take the vex with me but it ain't often I use it .as I fish short water if I can...

Post Your Comment
12/27/15 @ 10:16 AM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
I use a Marcum LX-3 and it has the transducer cord "arm" that keeps the cord/puck centered in the hole. I keep mine set so the transducer is only 4-6" submerged under the water (ie from the top of the ice)- doesn't make a difference in sensitivity and makes it much easier to put back in the carrying case, nice for being mobile. For really thick ice it would theoretically narrow the cone, but I fish Bago/Poygan most of the time and I'm usually looking for fish activity near or below the bait.

I also usually drill a separate locator hole, but with this method you really don't need to because it's not really in the way.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 5:41 PM
Rikkus
Rikkus
USER since 12/4/11
It doesn't matter if you're partially down the hole, or all the way down.

As the one gent mentioned, 'The transducer needs to be hanging straight.'

Like another gent mentioned, I always drill a separate hole for the Flasher. It eliminates the tangles with the line.

Post Your Comment
12/20/15 @ 3:04 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Follow the guidelines outlined in your users manual.

It's kinda funny, you'll see and hear pro staff guys representing each of the different companies who make flashers using them both ways. My thought is that older flashers required you to hang the transducer lower because they were not as technologically advanced as newer ones are and they'd be more prone to false readings from ice. 20 years ago or so it was stressed that you hang it right at the bottom of the ice or below. Now this isn't stressed as much. Since "hanging it below the ice" became so ingrained in our minds it became a habit that's hard to break. The only way you'll know for sure is if you experiment with it and find out what is comfortable for you.

Post Your Comment
12/19/15 @ 1:27 PM
Lizardbreath
Lizardbreath
USER since 12/7/15
I'm not really asking about how they work through the ice (but it's good to know) but if it works better with the transducer completely under the ice or just down the hole 10" when there is 16" of ice. I'll have to pay attention to the perfectly vertical part.....Thanks

Post Your Comment
12/19/15 @ 1:23 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Hanging below the ice and the cable is more likely to tangle with the line when a fish is on. Bluegill's tendency to swim in circles when hooked...I try to pull the locator/transducer every time I catch a fish but that's not always practical.

Even with the bottom of the ice hole or just a few inches up from the bottom is just fine.

The only time I let it dangle is when fishing in say 19'-21',or 38' to 41'. I drop it to keep on the 20' or 40' scale...and still see a decently-wide bottom signal. Sometimes changes in the bottom signal can show a fish approaching right on bottom.

If the ice is good and clear (and wet) I often fish with the transducer on the SURFACE,not down the hole. Also,if I'm planning on fishing a spot for a while I drill a separate hole for the 'ducer so's not to tangle the cord with the line when a fish is on.

With thick ice you'll get interference with the 'ducer hanging just below the surface - especially if the ice is not clear.

Post Your Comment
12/19/15 @ 12:21 PM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
I depends on how thick the ice is, if it's less than 1 ft it should not matter, but if it's 2-3 ft you will want tot get that ducer down in the hole or the ice will cut the beam off

Post Your Comment
12/19/15 @ 10:57 AM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
As long as the transducer is completely vertical there is no difference.

Post Your Comment