Tip Downs

1/18/16 @ 1:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
svfisherman00
svfisherman00
USER since 11/5/14
We were fishing out at Devils Lake State park and we lost one tip down rod and we broke another. We have the Sure Strike Tip Downs. Anybody know where I can get 2 more rods about 32 inches in length? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 44 Posts
1/3/17 @ 3:12 PM
Blitzfish
Blitzfish
USER since 10/1/05

Another classic option to use instead of tip downs are umbrella tip ups. I got some my grandpa made that were made back in the 50s or earlier and they still work great to this day. They are made from an umbrella hinge, a post, a few staples, a counter weight (usually something like a nut or washer), and sometimes a piece or fabric or something for a flag on one end. Just do a googler search of "umbrella tip ups". They work the same as tip downs unless you prefer using a reel with a rod.

Post Your Comment
1/3/17 @ 2:39 PM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02

If anyone needs poles or complete Tip Downs ready to fish with the pole included for less than you will pay in the stores send me a PM.  Sorry about the sideways pics, stupid phone

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 11:50 AM
LotusNMo
LotusNMo
USER since 9/21/08
That sounds like it would work pretty awesome. Thanks for explaining all that

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 9:34 AM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
In the back of the garage I have a bunch of old rod stands with flag trips I was working on in the '80's and 90's. When Firstrikes came out I quit trying to make a better mousetrap and just use those, altho, being the tinkerer that I am, I don't attach them to the rod. I have mounts on rod stands that are above and slightly behind the reel spool for the firstrike to attach to. When I set the line on the trigger the line goes pretty much straight up off of the spool. This eliminates the need for the rubber band as the line can't free spool even with the bail open. The problem is my left handed sister can't use them.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 8:59 AM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
Gimper - surveyors tape works well for what you're describing. It's very visible, but you can still reel it past the knot. A simple overhand knot is tight enough to hold it there, but loose enough and with enough bulk that when it hits the rod tip you can keep reeling.

sc

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 7:10 PM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
In the old'en days we would set up the rod with the rubber band and tie a piece of red yarn onto the line just below the rod tip. When the piece of yarn would go down the hole we knew we had a bite. My father even used a sewing needle and threaded the line thru a piece of orange cloth about the size of a match book. The problem was we couldn't reel up past the marker, especially if it froze up. We even used a little piece of toilet paper, wet it in the hole and then pinch it onto the line thinking it would fall off once the fish took it under the ice. Problem was it either froze on or the toilet paper would dry out and fall off.

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 6:47 PM
LotusNMo
LotusNMo
USER since 9/21/08
that sounds like it would work. Ill have to mess around w it. thanks

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 3:23 PM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
Put a rubber band around the rod grip. Slip a loop of line under the rubber band. Open bail and set trigger. Works like a charm.

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 12:59 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
Penn & Shimano make great bait feeder / live liners as well. They've been around for saltwater fishing for longer.

sc

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 12:07 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Hey guys, not exactly sure what you are doing, but you are talking about fishing with your bail open. Okuma makes a couple of reels called Bait Feeders. The guys that fish the river love them. Essentially they have two drags. One for fighting a fish, and one for fishing and not leaving the bail open. You set the bait feeder option, and the drag is really loose, you can just gently pull line out without touching fish fighting drag. They are a sweet deal.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 44 Posts