Tip Downs

1/3/15 @ 9:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceKid97
IceKid97
USER since 12/15/14
So I just purchased one orange innovative tip down to start out. I know most people make their own but has anybody tried this brand? Also is it possibly a tip down can spook the fish even if their balanced right? I've seen many guys use these and thought i would try them for crappies. Any tips or experiences you guys have had and would share is great!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
3/2/15 @ 9:59 AM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
Thanks guys for the kind comments on our Tip Downs. It took years and many different designs until we got it right. Then a company out of Merrill (Sure Strike) copied the design and started selling them at Fleet Farm.

We decided if they can sell them why can't we? Well this year we decided to try another new design and started making the frame from PVC, same design and concept, just a change in material.

At first I thought they might be too light and blow around, but they are actually a little heavier and a little more compact. I actually like them better than the wood ones due to the fact that they will not absorb water, and are tougher overall.

They fold flat just like the wood ones and the pole balances just as well.

Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 5:43 AM
Rancher
Rancher
USER since 2/21/02
You will need to set the hook.

Edited on 3/2/15 5:43 AM
Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 12:48 AM
Huntin dude
Huntin dude
USER since 10/25/11
So when a tip down bottoms out on the down fall does it set the hook or do you still have to set the hook?

Post Your Comment
3/1/15 @ 10:47 PM
wiwickers
wiwickers
USER since 2/25/13
Here is some I made

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 9:12 PM
IceKid97
IceKid97
USER since 12/15/14
Just did broz I like the looks of your design!

Post Your Comment
2/23/15 @ 9:42 AM
broz.
broz.
USER since 6/22/01
IceKid97,trun on your pm

Post Your Comment
2/23/15 @ 9:03 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
I purchased the same type at the beginning of the season. I also set mine up with a tiny split-shot (smallest one I have) and a #16 treble hook and use a slip bobber knot to mark the depth. When it's windy I've found that using a second small split shot to mark the depth and setting it up at the right angle in the wind helps to balance the set up better than using the knot. I think the added weight works to offset the wind. When they're biting on minnows I've done good for crappies and perch, when they aren't interested in minnows I'll go all day without a bite. Not sure that it is any more beneficial than using a bobber and minnow combo but it's definitely more convenient.

Post Your Comment
2/23/15 @ 7:43 AM
Ice Junky
Ice Junky
USER since 8/21/09
Just getting into the tip-down scene. Curious - do folks just not use them when it is windy or have you guys found some tricks to using them in the wind? Thanks. Sully

Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 4:04 PM
surf n turf
surf n turf
USER since 1/31/07
Heres pics of my light set up to use on the innovative tip downs. Works perfect HT Omni lights. When the tip down tips just a few inches the light goes on

Edited on 1/5/15 4:06 PM
Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 10:16 AM
jiggermeister
jiggermeister
USER since 1/8/10
Check out the Dangler at http://fishdangler.com. They are easy to bring along and can use your existing jigging rods.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts