Throwing fish on the ice/snow

12/11/14 @ 6:06 PM
ORIGINAL POST
The Outdoorskid
The Outdoorskid
USER since 1/16/12
This is starting to be a pet peeve to me when I see a fish pulled out of a hole and thrown onto the ice or snow but mainly the snow. Ive heard recently that this affects fish after they are release and that snow hurts their slime which is what helps them survive! i just hate seeing more snow than fish in pictures lol and frozen fins. even if you have the fish hooked bad, you can still grab them out of the hole, unhook them and shoot them back in the hole. Sad
Edited on 12/13/14 8:38 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 54 Posts
1/4/15 @ 7:18 PM
The Outdoorskid
The Outdoorskid
USER since 1/16/12
Plmlk, Thanks and that buck did make my year lol. i also enjoy your posts on that fox river etc. looking forward to some walleyes in spring Big Smile

Post Your Comment
12/29/14 @ 7:13 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
dogfish sandwiches are tasty when cooked right.

Post Your Comment
12/28/14 @ 5:59 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I agree Rob, same as Drum. They've been swimming in Wisconsin ever since God put them here - let em' swim, they belong here!

Dogfish are opportunistic scavengers / predators that eat crayfish, shad, shiners etc. They help keep everything in check. If there is any fish that should be removed it should be carp, they are not indigenous to America, hurt our waterways, and don't belong here.

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 11:54 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Dogfish are native fish.... just saying.

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 2:32 PM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02
I don't like it most of the time but it ain't worth getting p oed about mostly c&r but on days I am fishing for meat when ,I get to where I got all I want to clean almost I well pitch them on the ice for other people to see,they might want a productive hole and I don't fish the very same place in a week unless fishing is really tough, I don't kill fish that ain't going home with me except dog fish and they don't count

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 8:28 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Nicely said Plmlk.

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 5:02 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Outdoorskid-

I stumbled onto a few of your other posts on here the other day and have to tell you, you are a good kid. I bet your father is proud.

There is no question that you have a passion for the outdoors and represent the future generation of ethical fishermen and hunters. If other kids shared half of your enthusiasm for the outdoors, there would be a lot less trouble in the world, and a lot more kids out in God's country getting after the Walleyes and Whitetails. Keep on doing what you're doing, I think it is just awesome!

As for this thread, kind of falls under the don't pick a spec out of your neighbors eye when you have a plank in your own eye.

Nice buck you got this year by the way - bet that made your year!

Cheers

Edited on 12/26/14 5:03 AM
Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 1:43 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
You could apply the same logic to fish that you catch in a boat, or even off the shore... Don't let them touch the bottom of your boat or the shore - you might hurt their slime.

The OP's point is well intended I'm sure, I understand, but why stop there if you are concerned? How about barbless hooks? Don't bring fish out of water that is too deep, don't fish for Bass when the water temp. is above 76*F (they don't always make it due to low oxygen levels), don't use treble hooks, the list could be endless.

I fish more than most, and release more than most, and I can tell you, I don't get too worked up if a fish touches the ice. If Gills are over 8" they go back, If Walleyes are over 19" they go back, LM and SM Bass also go back... If a fish touches the ice, I'll still get a good nights sleep.

I think we all do what we can - but at the end of the day, there are an endless amount of things you could be concerned about. If you are that worried about the welfare of an iced fish, probably best to stay home. No matter what you do, the fish is worse for wear when your done with them no matter how you treat them...

Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 9:54 AM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01
The OP is spot on..............Could teach some folks a thing or 2 if the were able to comprehend anything!

Post Your Comment
12/21/14 @ 8:27 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Why did the OP remove his awesome suggestion of using a mat from his post? I fear that scores of uneducated fisher people will hurt all of our fish!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 54 Posts