SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Thermal Shanty’s

10/25/18 @ 2:32 PM
INITIAL POST
Esox23
User since 10/31/01

I’m in the market for a flip over shanty with a thermal canvas.  Previously had an Otter uninsulated flip shanty which was great, it was durable but with two little kids I would like an insulated one.  My two biggest constraints are weight of the shanty and overall length.  I have a truck with the short 5’6” bed so nothing longer than 66” folded up.  Secondly the weight, my old Otter while awesome was heavy as heck and trying to lift that thing into the bed of my truck after a long day was no fun.  I’m looking at some options to assist with this such as a crank and plank to pull shanty up but looking to not go much over 100lbs empty weight.  My old Otter had a bench but I am open to trying the swivel seats and adding a chair or bucket for one kiddo. The seats seemed much more comfortable when i tried them. 

Ive looked at several brands thus far.  The Eskimos didn’t seem as durable or well made as Otters/Clam/Frabil. The Otters are nice but a little pricey and heavy. Think I’m down to the Frabil and Clams and really the Clam Nanook or Yukon.  The Frabil series look nice but I haven’t been able to find a Citadel series to sit in and see for myself, plus based on the website info I’m not sure they would fit in my truck bed.  They’re a touch more $$ than the Clams as well.  

Anyone out there have a thermal Nanook or Citadel and your opinions?  The Nanook this year went from a 600 to 900 denier thermal canvas which seems like it would retain some nice heat.  The Yukon looks to be about the same size but a higher ceiling so ability to stand up in it.  

Thanks for for any input 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
11/22/18 @ 9:17 AM
BGerrits
User since 12/25/16

I replaced the old Viking with an Otter Resort insulated last year.  Very happy with the quality and insulation.  I got the resort because I have two kids.  I wish I would have went a little smaller, like the lodge.

Very sturdy, and the canvas seems to be of higher quality than my friend's clam.  I installed a cheap LED adhesive light strip that connects to my flasher batteries.

I like my friend's clam because it is nice and light.  I would go and sit in a few at a store and see what fits best.

11/17/18 @ 8:24 AM
Basspro05
Basspro05
User since 12/8/08

I own an otter one man thermal. Yes it is super heavy and I use atv ramp with carpet on it to get into the truck. I have owned 3 other claim shelters and they are all garbage. I am shocked they are still in business for the low quality stuff they make. In terms of  pulling the shelter use a really long rope on your shoulder. 

10/29/18 @ 12:56 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

You have already eliminated the Eskimo which is what I would reccomend, but that is based on my opinion.  One thing I will tell you,a nd all manufactures are now doing this.  I think that you said the Clam, but could be wrong went from a 600 Denier to a 900.  Actually nothing really changed.  They are now giving you the total Denier of all the layers of material, 300 x 3 layers = 900.

10/26/18 @ 4:24 PM
Esox23
User since 10/31/01

Well been checking prices everyday and today I came across a Scheels ad and they have the new 2019 Yukon X Thermal for 579.99.  Scheels in Appleton had 8 of them left.  Just ran up and got one, figured this will give me enough time to pimp it out before ice gets here.  I was really considering the Thermal Nanook but the Yukon was a little bigger.  Will give a review in a month or two after I’ve had a chance to use it!!  

Thanks for the the comments and feedback fellas.  

10/26/18 @ 10:29 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

They are expensive but when you look at it from a longevity standpoint they aren’t bad. As far as size, a lodge would be fine for you and two children. I personally have a lodge and a resort. I fish with a lot different size groups. 

10/25/18 @ 10:11 PM
Esox23
User since 10/31/01

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes I agree the Otters, IMO, are the best shacks and sleds available.  But the weight and cost are both a little prohibitive.  I have a nice Arctic Cat to pull, home waters are Bago/Bago Chain and Green Bay. But I also pull it out on some smaller waters here and there.  Hard trying to decide on a one size fits all shack, if only I could convince the wife I need 2 shantys??

10/25/18 @ 7:03 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

I am strongly considering the Yukon myself. My problem is I hate spending money when my uninsulated is perfectly functional and in great shape. Maybe I will sell it and upgrade.

10/25/18 @ 6:06 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I was in the same boat as you. I bought the insulated Yukon. Fits my truck, can stand straight up, plenty of space. 

I used to own a Frabil fyi. Clam is nicer.

10/25/18 @ 5:00 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Stick with Otter. They are the best out there. You know what you’re getting after owning a non insulated one. You will want a way to tow it though as the insulated shacks are heavy as hell. 

10/25/18 @ 3:48 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

I have a regular nanook and it is nice cuz I can load it and it fits in the shorter bed of my crew cab truck.  Cons are not being able to stand.   Wish I would have gotten the thermal now myself. 

10/25/18 @ 3:34 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I have a Frabill Sidestep with 600 denier fully insulated and boat seats.  Insulation is great and the boat seats are very comfortable.  It has 20 sqft of fishable space.  So compare that to the Frabill Aegis or Clam Nanook or Yukon as far as fishable space.  These all would fit your truck, but I don't think it would be very comfortable for you and two kids once they got bigger.  Me and my buddy can easily sit both of us and drill 4-5 holes, but there's not a ton of extra room to move around.  I think mine weighs 95 lbs dry.  Honestly doesn't feel that heavy as I can load it into a lifted Ford Ranger by myself with ease.  I think you'd be better off with a bigger model like the Citadel, but none of those look like they'd fit in your truck.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE