LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

The weather is warm! The ice is dangerous!

3/12/19 @ 3:42 PM
INITIAL POST
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Once again, it is that time of the year when people are worried about the ice when it gets a bit warm. In my area, ice is 16 to 20 inches at this time. I'm all for peoples safety. But there always seems to be some unnecessary worry or even panic about the ice this time of the year. From your experience,  when is it time to really be careful,  and at what point should people stay off the ice?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts
4/26/19 @ 10:27 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

We will miss you ice! See you in 7 months.

4/22/19 @ 7:52 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I ice fished on the Cisco Chain last wed. With heavy rains on Thurs, I said I'm done. I drilled holes out from the landing out to where I fished, about a mile out. Once I got a 1/2 mile out the ice was consistent at about 12-14", but there was that odd 1/2" of crap you fall through into 4" of water before getting to hard ice. Had a few flags, didn't catch anything, Perch-wise.

The weather is warm! The ice is dangerous! photo by USAbrams1991
4/15/19 @ 10:46 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Kvan-You made the right decision then and that trout is awesome!

Jaybee...57 degrees? Wow, that warmed up quick! Bass beware now that you are on the prowl!

4/15/19 @ 8:33 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Glad you made it out N.Pike! I broke through at the landing but was able to find a spot to walk on. Made it ~20 yards out spudding and decided to punch a hole to check actual ice quality. Had 12"+ of what I'd consider fairly solid ice. Took 2 steps from there and took a swim. Made my decision to switch over to trout pretty easy!

This was also on a lake with a slight current near the landing. Plenty of other lakes still accessible but none that I wanted to fish.

Until next year, tight lines fellas!

The weather is warm! The ice is dangerous! photo by Junkie4Ice
4/14/19 @ 11:00 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Way to go, n.pike Jeff! Amazing how different it can be from one side of Wisconsin to another. Fished an open water bay last week in Waukesha county that was 57 degrees,saw one bass starting to make a bed,  and you still have 20 inches of ice up there. That’s crazy

4/14/19 @ 9:49 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Got out today. 20 inches. But, it's getting soft. Still, very safe on the lake I was on...for now. Might not last too much longer on this small lake. 

4/10/19 @ 10:08 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'm hearing mixed reports. I was out last week. Tons of ice. Shorelines great. But, things seem to have changed. Just by the looks of things, ice doesn't appear "great" anymore. But, I'm planning 2 more trips. We all probably know certain lakes that hold their ice super long and those southern shorelines can hold their ice quite a while.

4/9/19 @ 8:04 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I fished the mercer area friday-monday.  ice is thick but soft.  crappies on fire!  Lakes I was on didnt have large fish but tons of 10-11" fish.  The rain and heat really did a number on the ice.  clear doesn't always mean strong this time of year.  You could break through the frozen slush layer and go right into an old hole.  getting tricky out there.  I'd call it quits after the snow if I wasn't super confident in my ability to survive a dunk.  The ice that is there will be gone in two weeks, its not worth it anymore

4/9/19 @ 2:02 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yeah I'm more worried about the shorelines with the weight of the snow. Main lakes should be fine. I'll be packing the ice fishing and trout fishing gear for Saturday just in case lol.

4/9/19 @ 12:58 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I'm giving her one more shot next tuesday. Striker suit floats, ATV doesn't.

4/9/19 @ 11:47 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Or when to go all in...  no pun intended.

4/9/19 @ 11:43 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Kinda reminds me of the lyrics in an old Kenny Rogers song. " you gotta know when to hold and when to fold ".

4/9/19 @ 9:15 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Personally for myself the ice is getting very iffy. I fished last Mon- Fri in Oneida and Vilas county. Lakes I fished ranged from 19-23" but it was a very soft ice. Since then we have had a half day of rain and 2 days in the fifties. Snow in the open areas really took a beating. A friend dropped an ATV through Fri on a shoreline of a very small lake,3' fow. I think I would only fish now if I see "other guys out there." They are predicting 6-10" here of wet and heavy. Be safe!

4/9/19 @ 7:34 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

What do the folks think this snow is going to do to the ice up north? It was already starting to get soft, some lakes starting to come up in chunks when you drilled but it was still solid for the most part. This wet heavy stuff makes me a little nervous. Definitely time for the spud bar and life jacket. Any input?

4/3/19 @ 10:40 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Still plenty of ice up north, but the weather is warming up! Should be interesting how long it lasts.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE