MORE
Ice Fishing

The Great Auger Debate

1/16/19 @ 11:49 AM
INITIAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

This auger debate is getting darn right hilarious. Why is gas vs. electric somehow become compound vs. crossbow? Why do people care what others use? What really cracks me up is the justification by both sides to somehow discredit the other side.

Electric crew:

1. Gas/Oil is messy. It's a hassle to mix gas. I don't want to bring a gas can along.

It takes approximately 1 minute to mix up 1 gallon of gas that will last the entire season for the average fisherman. If that’s too tough, you can buy premixed gas. I would guess the average gas guy spends less time mixing gas/filling the tank than electric guys spend plugging and unplugging their charger.

Bring gas along? A gas auger will punch more hole on one tank of gas than an electric will on one charge. I never bring gas along for a single day of fishing.

2. Gas augers are hard to start. I pull the trigger and I’m cutting a hole.

I you truly believe this to be true, you have never owned an Eskimo gas auger. I’ve owned mine for 5+ years, and I would say 90%+ it starts and idles on the first pull. I don’t believe I have ever pulled it more than 3 times to start. The same guys that have crappy gas augers probably don’t take care of any of their crap. If they switch to electric, they won’t charge their battery or sharpen their blades and will likely be using your auger by the end of the day anyway.

3. Electrics are quiet.

Frankly, I think this point is moot. Fish will be spooked by the blades cutting through the ice, not the sound of the motor. As far as residents on the lake? That is part of the joy of lakefront living. And if that is your motivation, I hope you never take a quad or snowmobile on the ice!

4. Electrics are light.

Truth. This is by far the most compelling reason to go this direction. Most options are substantially lighter than any gas option.

Gas guys:

1. As one person on another thread put it, electric guys are “Sally’s”.

That is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard and frankly it deserves no comment or consideration.

2. Electric options are expensive.

Truth. This is the most compelling reason I can see to avoid this route.

Electric augers run in the $450 - $600 range from what I’ve seen. And if you ever burn through your battery, you will likely be in the price range of a gas auger just to replace the battery.

I think you can go cheaper if you set up your own with a cordless drill. But if you want a nice setup (full plate with handles, good bit, good drill), You are still going to end up in that $400 - $500 range from what I’ve seen.

On sale, a very nice Eskimo gasser with a Viper motor can still be had for well under $300.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Why do people care what others do? It is so weird to me.

Electric Advantage:

+ Weight

+ I guess noise, but that is a weak one to me

Gas Advantage:

+ Cost

+ The fact they are always easily ready to go. If you run out of gas, you can be back up and running in seconds. Run out of battery power, not so much. It likely rarely comes into play, but I think about weekend trips or just simply forgetting to charge the electric one!

If I was starting over, I would likely go the electric drill set up so I could then also use the drill to drive shack stakes.  Many times now I'm taking my gas auger and a cordless drill to drive stakes, so I'm really losing on the weight side.  But I'm not starting over and my Eskimo Mako is a very nice rig.  No way I could justify the cost of a drill set up.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 56 posts
1/23/19 @ 7:47 PM
X Boat
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/08

Fishlovme, 

Thanks for the input very useful.

1/22/19 @ 3:31 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Xboat I only use the 8 inch for a fee tipup holes, then I switch over to the 6 inch. I've yet to use more than one 5ah battery in a day and I've drilled as many as 40 holes thru about 18 inches of ice. As far as an extension I have one, I think clam makes it and I have it attached to my Clam plate at all times. I can't stand the height without it - I don't like bending down to drill a hole! I can drill a hole through over two feet of ice with that extension, but I like to have it on at all times, like I said before just because of the height.

1/22/19 @ 2:32 PM
X Boat

FISHLOVE ME, I do too, just starting to try out electric, two lasers 8" and 6" they are the original with the threaded connecting union of handle to drill. I did find an adapter by "Ice Master" works great., faster than almost anything. although I did loose a blade last outing. Probably just vibrated the screws out. The problem with the converter is not an easy way for extensions and ice will be getting too thick soon. So I thought the light weight pistol grip would be a good choice. with some of the comments on breakage not so sure. maybe figure out an adapter.

Do you run out of battery power on the 8" compared to 6" in when running and gunning" Thank Ek

1/22/19 @ 1:57 PM
wi river rat
User since 4/2/02

There were a pair of guys Sunday afternoon trying to start a gas auger for more than forty five minutes in the north triangle. I'm thinking they would of taken anything over a gas auger that wouldn't start. I got to give the guy credit for trying though. I would of given up a lot sooner.

1/22/19 @ 1:32 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

Do a lot of group based ice fishing trips each winter, the kind where not everyone has their own augers or equipment and there is a lot of sharing/group effort to get a big spread of tip ups set.

I have an Eskimo Z71 that ran great for years, but then just went into a nose dive over two seasons where I kept chasing problems on it. I was the only person that seemed to have the right "touch" to get it to operate properly and ultimately I decided to try an ION.

Don't get me wrong, I love gas augers and especially the power of the Z71. The thing really cranks open holes and its fun to use when its working well.

There is nothing exciting about drilling a hole with an electric auger other than it simply works. You don't have to hang on as hard, its not loud at all, but its also not quite as fast (We run ION ten inchers).

Since the ION ran great for me for a year, a friend of mine who I fish with nearly all the time also picked one up...after two seasons of running the electrics here are my thoughts:

• They are definitely lighter and that is a huge plus
  • A fully charged battery is more than enough for a big group that isn't moving around all day.
  • The ease of use is amazing. Not saying a gas auger is hard, but people not mechanically inclined can really struggle with the things.
  • Because they are so easy to use, we found in the group situation that people are much more willing and able to grab an auger themselves and just start drilling holes. In the past, it was me or someone else hauling around that 34 pound z71 drilling 15 to 30 holes because everyone else had trouble operating it.

Again, totally agree that a gas auger in tip top running shape is easy to use, but sometimes they are just not and it gets old.

I love gas and oil and two stroke engines...I love working on them...I love boat engines...really love gas engines, but the time and convenience I have saved by using an electric auger on the ice has given me more time to do what I really want to be doing and that is fishing.

1/21/19 @ 2:11 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
I'd rather have 3 nickels rather than one quarter (in terms of augers) because I dont want, nor need an 8 inch hole when fishing panfish.  The 5 inch is perfect for re-opening old holes especially at late ice, and the 6 inch is perfect for panfish and anything just a little bigger.  I can get a pretty descent size fish through a 6-inch hole, but I don't like the 5 inch when it's cold outside, the hole freezes up too quickly.  It's all personaly choice, of course, I have 4 augers, and 4 shanties, all are used at different times, but I like having choices!
1/21/19 @ 11:38 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Why would you want 3 nickels when you could have 1 quarter?

Saw a picture/post of a pistol bit snapped in half. First one I've seen so hopefully it was just user error rather than a flaw in design...

1/21/19 @ 9:33 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
For how much money the pistol auger and the Kdrill costs I'll buy 2 or 3 Lazer augers and use those on my drill! Or better yet I'd buy a Lazer auger (size depending on what you want to fish for) and the clam plate! I've used all 3 sizes I own on it, 5,6, and 8 with no problems. And at least I still have the hand crank in case my drill dies on me!
1/21/19 @ 8:30 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"Just wondering if the K,Drill or the Pistol grip auger for a drill  is better."

They're two different augers. Apples to Oranges.

1/20/19 @ 6:30 PM
X Boat

Just wondering if the K,Drill or the Pistol grip auger for a drill  is better. 

I saw one comparison and it looked like the Eskimo pistol grip was a little better other than the disc being to close to the drill bit.

1/20/19 @ 2:47 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I personally have both. They both get used. For lakes in SE Wisconsin where I’m located the electric is plenty good. When I go to northern Minnesota and Canada it’s gas. I’ve drained batteries doing 15 holes through 40+ inches of ice, and when chasing walleyes on Lake Winnipeg you move a lot so 15 holes isn’t going to do. I like the convenience of electric, but need the power and reliability of gas when it gets tough. 

1/19/19 @ 10:06 PM
Bull Gill
User since 2/7/02

Last post is on the money don't own an eskimo have 3 or 4 augers on drill's and 2 gas augers last post is right on the money, ain't worth the debate prefere the drills in 16 inchs of ice or less my gas augers work fine and have never ran out of gas if topped off tank,,,,,and 50 holes plus in a day is a lite day if I am scouting a lake.......

1/19/19 @ 2:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It is really situational and preference. For the fishing I personally do, the ION is light, starts every time, and is no hassle. I move around the lake a lot on my feet, so I want to carry something light. It's also a bit smaller and fits in my sled nice. The only choice for me. Had a gas auger once. Many times had trouble starting. One time got to the lake early in the morning and the rope came out when I pulled and I almost fell over backwards. That auger had to have work done on it and was never quite right. Was so frustrated one day that I was very close to just putting it in the garbage can that was at the launch and not looking back.

I will say this...it was the first year under a new environmental regulation change for this auger. That had something to do with the bad starting, as I was not the only one with starting issues. The guy I dealt with when fixing the auger said many have had issues...so my personal story is not what most experience with gas augers I'm sure. And, yes, I like the sound of a gas auger. Not up close, but when I hear one, it's a cool sound.

1/19/19 @ 12:26 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Debate what auger you would take on your ice fish, dream vacation to Lake Winnebegoshish, where the ice is thick enough to almost bottom out your auger. I always bring a small extra gallon of mix gas for my auger because I ran out once drilling thru some really thick ice. Live and learn. I also learned drilling holes with a back up hand auger is exhausting.

1/18/19 @ 11:29 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Actually, I think this concludes the debate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_JEHT2LTaB8

Displaying 1 to 15 of 56 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE