The best propane auger?

11/28/14 @ 8:40 AM
ORIGINAL POST
xWoodbutcheRx
xWoodbutcheRx
MEMBER since 1/2/09
I am in the market for a new power auger this year since my Strikemaster blew up last year. I am convinced I want a propane auger but can not decide on a brand or model. Has anyone used the new Eskimo 40 HC or know how it compares to the Jiffy model? Any reviews would be helpful.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 98 Posts
11/17/15 @ 8:39 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Marble eyes now you have me thinking. I could get some pipe insulation and a re-useable zip tie to wrap completely around the Propane holder. Or better yet, take one of the wet suits my kids wore 10 years ago, and cut some pieces of that up!!

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 5:52 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
tim, I have thought of the same thing. was playing around with foam pipe insulation but gave up and just went with the bottle sleeve and hand warmer if needed but have yet to use a hand warmer inside the sleeve. I also use that pipe insulation to make insulated hole covers for tip ups. way cheaper than the 10.00 each they charge in the stores.

Post Your Comment
11/16/15 @ 8:27 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Two comments here. Ifsihwi, call D-rock in New Brighton, MN 651-639-0446, they should have a clutch for your Jiffy even if it is 30 years old.

Marbleeyes7, you are doing the right thing with your Propane Auger gas, that way it will not freeze. I would like make or find a can coozie out of that foam material that is big enough to go over a 1 LB cylinder of Propane.

Post Your Comment
11/16/15 @ 5:55 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
i guess I am just lucky or it has yet to happen to me these people saying they have had issues with the propane augers not working in below freezing temps. have had my pro 4 out on upper red lake in m.n. with temps -20 to -50 below with wind chill and it runs just fine. I keep a bottle warmer sleeve over the tank and if I have my vehicle keep it inside if I have my wheeler lay it up against the side blocking the wind from hitting the bottle/ power head. maybe just lucky but have yet to have this issue happen to me and I ice fish 14-15 days a month in season. I have also heard of guys putting a hand warmer packet inside the bottle warmer sleeve on very cold days as well. ions are nice and love the concept but not enough holes on 1 battery for me and a replacement battery at 60-70% of the initial cost is a big turn off for me, battery's only last so long and do not hold a good charge anymore. just my .02

Post Your Comment
11/15/15 @ 10:11 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
Hey Beer Goggles, listen up. Get with the program man. I have to defend the ION... It's made by Ardisam who have been building outdoor products for 55 years including Eskimo augers and all those red shelters you see out there and more.

I own an older (30+ years) gas auger with 3.5 Tecumseh motor, but it's not a Jiffy. It just still runs for me. However I have tried my friend's ION and they are smooth, quiet, light, and no gas or exhaust smell. For most ice applications these are ideal.

Any dumass can forget to charge a battery or break something on a machine, that's why a good fisherman just might have a back-up.

That being said, where in the world can I find a clutch for my 30+ year old Tecumseh motor? Still works but starting to slip. Jiffy is no help.

Post Your Comment
11/15/15 @ 7:30 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
I have a jiffy pro 4. Bought it 5 or 6 years ago. Luv it. Only had an issue one time. Where due to my fault the regulator froze. I laid the auger down after drilling a hole. And started cleaning the hole out throwing the water and slush on the regulator unknowingly. Wouldn't start. In shanty with heat going for a min or 2 and it was fine. Have zero experience with electric augers.

Post Your Comment
11/15/15 @ 6:42 PM
Beer Goggles
Beer Goggles
USER since 12/28/07
Sure the ion looks like a smart idea but what happens when they go out of business and you need a new part or battery? Most veteran ice anglers own there augers for years and they go with jiffy or strikemaster. Jiffy parts are readily available just about anywhere. Lets say something breaks or you lose something of the ion auger. Now your screwed. Now you got to march your happy ass home and order a new part. Or lets say you forget to charge it up. Now there you are no I fishing for you today. So I would just stick with gas. I can tell you that when it gets super cold all the propane things I own give me trouble once in a while. So stick with gas and when all the other ice auger nerds are nerding out online trying to figure out what wrong with there auger you will be out fishing. Cool

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:21 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
budman, The Ion and the HC40 are both great augers, and both have their place. The HC40 will punch holes all day long, the Ion will punch holes as long as the battery lasts. I am fortunate enough to have one of each.

Post Your Comment
11/11/15 @ 3:00 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
fired my pro4 jiffy up yesterday to get her going for the season and once again for the 4th year running started up on the second pull and purred like a kitten. did the tune up with new plug and oil before hand of course. still no complaints and no issues with the pro4. still have yet to do anything with the blades. just need colder weather to get things started off.

Post Your Comment
11/10/15 @ 10:41 PM
budman1987
budman1987
USER since 1/19/03
And as a comparison the ion augers are not as good as the propane in my mind....buddy has an ion and I feel my propane out performs it in every aspect the hc40 is fairly light I'm not the strongest person in the world and I can carry it around and punch holes through 20in of ice all day....but this is my opinion

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 98 Posts