Strikemaster Ice Augers

2/22/15 @ 11:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FSH ESOX
FSH ESOX
USER since 3/1/10
I am considering buying an Strikemaster Lazer Pro. I would like to know what any of you think of this auger, good or bad. Thanks Jason
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
3/16/15 @ 3:01 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Great..anyone know any places around Oshkosh that do this and what type of money I am looking at spending?

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 8:31 AM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
Flyallday you need a carb rebuild. Your inlet needle is not sealing and is allowing fuel to enter the engine.

Ajs

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 6:59 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
I love my strikemaster, but just this week I went to use it and it was out of gas...put some in and checked for leaks and didn't notice any. Tried to start it and gas/oil sprayed out of the yellow button you have to push in to start the motor. Any ideas what could be wrong? I am not that mechanically inclined and don't feel that great about ripping a motor apart if I have no idea what is wrong and potentially making the situation worse.

**Edit I looked at the Strikemaster website and the yellow button must be the compression button. My auger is about 5 years old and does not have a primer ball to press if this info helps

Edited on 3/15/15 7:15 PM
Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 8:04 PM
Pete Pete Pete
Pete Pete Pete
USER since 12/21/05
I picked up a lazer electric with an 8" auger from Bob's bait for $50 three or so years ago.

A buddy bought the auger for 50 bux, so the power head was free.

All I had to do was pick up some heavy gauge jumper cables on clearance at Menards and a connector @ Grainger and voila.

Best of both world's switching between the gas and electric for the 7".

Lazer blades stay sharp if you let them do their thing without much down force.

Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 1:55 PM
CazTrait
CazTrait
USER since 6/15/01
I'm assuming the composite handle broke. It was a problem with the early models. Mine just broke a couple weekends ago bouncing around in the back of my truck jumping hard packed snow drifts. I believe the auger is about 10-12 years old. It snapped right at the gear case so I was able to snug it up with a 3" wood screw pretty easy.

Edited on 3/10/15 1:58 PM
Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 12:37 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
My dad bought a strikemaster honda light 4 stroke and I like it much more than my Jiffy Stealth. Its so quiet that I can drill inside a shack and not go deaf. Starts really easy and cuts very fast. Another guy had a new Jiffy propane auger and the honda light cut faster side by side.

Also it cut with ice caked on the drill. My Jiffy will not cut well like that at all, but this thing kept going. It actually will pull you down to the ice if you don't let off the throttle when you cut through.

I've been lugging my heavy jiffy around but my next will be a much lighter drill. I drill too many holes for such a heavy drill, going to kill myself.

Edited on 3/10/15 12:39 PM
Post Your Comment
3/10/15 @ 8:08 AM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
I,m not trying to start a pissing match. Just curious to what composite broke? I work on this stuff for a living. Information on things breaking is what i,m always looking so i know what possible things to inspect on customer equipment. But what i said is true every brand on the market has its problems. I just see fewer with the strikemasters.

Ajs

Post Your Comment
3/9/15 @ 6:54 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
USER since 12/1/12
I got the lazer electric and will never buy a gas one again. and I fish bago so I move every 30 min . no time to choke, let warm up, get gas all over myself and gear

Post Your Comment
3/9/15 @ 4:47 PM
uplander
uplander
USER since 10/6/09
ajs thats a pretty good explanation. the thread asks for opinions and I gave mine. jeez mellow out. i didnt think this would turn into a pissing match.

Post Your Comment
3/9/15 @ 8:25 AM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
What composite was broken?? How about some details instead of calling it junk. I can do that with every brand auger on the market today. Jiffy is my most popular auger to have problems. I work in a small engine shop.

Strikemasters well ive seen one this year and it was the old powerhead not the new solo.

Ajs

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts