SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Snowmobile or 4 wheeler?

1/31/15 @ 9:26 AM
INITIAL POST
git-da-net
User since 4/12/07
What do you prefer to have as your ice fishing vehicle. I want to get set up so I do not have to drive my truck out, but I cannot decide which I would rather have. Besides the obvious of having the wheeler in all seasons which is a definite plus. I can find a old sled for much cheaper, but I think that i would have a ton more maintenance and repairs on an old sled. What is your preference and why? Lets see some of your rigs!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
3/13/15 @ 5:34 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Ford / Chevy Question... Both will work for ice fishing. Snowmobile works better in deeper snow. Trail riding snowmobiles is a bunch of fun, but you can't plow your driveway with one, or pull a trailer, or drive it in the Fall. No right or wrong answer, just depends on what you do more of. For me, it's snowmobiles. They get me out on the ice, and my kids and I have a great time on the trails.
3/12/15 @ 12:28 PM
j_shoe99
User since 2/20/13
I just picked up an older 2up fan cooled sled for ice fishing, for dirt cheap. 2up is good for 2 people. fan cooled for reliability. I'll likely add studs to it for next year. I'm still holding out for a deal on a 4wheeler from my buddy, so I might end up with both by next year. ;) One thing I quickly learned, is that the snowmobile doesn't have as many CARGO CARRYING options as a 4wheeler. I'm curious to see how guys setup their sleds to haul augers/buckets/shacks/etc.
2/16/15 @ 6:28 PM
git-da-net
User since 4/12/07
I ended up getting 2 snowmobiles. The price was right. Eventually I will get an atv just for the usefulness at home. Would like to set one up with a gps mounted to the sled.Any input on models I should look at?
2/15/15 @ 10:36 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
I just sold my sled on plans to get a atv. My reason was because the lakes I fish never seem to have much snow on them expecially early in the year and I don't trail ride. Now if you go up north a lot I would hands down get a sled. Another option may be a sled like the arctic cat bearcat. It's a fan cooled utility sled so you don't need as much snow on the lake just enough snow spots to keep the hyfax wet. This could be accomplished just by putting studs on it or just hitting the few snow spots out there. but once again you need some snow so if you mainly fish small lakes then no snow means you could just walk it. I fish the bago chain so no snow means I have a LONG walk. I am also very sick of shoveling/snow blowing my big driveway so my atv will have a plow.
2/14/15 @ 5:41 PM
Beer Goggles
Beer Goggles
User since 12/28/07
Atv comes in handy around the house. I use mine to plow the driveway and do chores in summer and winter. Now that I got a big yard in da country, i ride mine around the property like i am the foreman on sum job site! Haahaa! Now i need a can holder for it
2/11/15 @ 11:50 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
User since 4/1/12
Still only using the rear chains for bago or poygan have not seen a need to put the fronts on. If I lived up north say Vilas county the wheeler would be in the garage. Was up there end of January and the wheeler was almost useless in the slush and deep snow.
2/11/15 @ 8:37 AM
Snake1
Vipersdad
User since 12/24/01
Any advice on ATV chains??? All 4, rear only, not at all? Thanks, V.
2/10/15 @ 12:32 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I have an ATV now and in northern WI I can't even use it for ice fishing many times as the snow is too deep. Sure down a snowmobile trail on a lake works, but once you get off of that there can be issues. I don't use it much during the rest of the year to warrant having it. Thinking about selling and buying a sled, I'd use one much more in my area. Now back near my house an ATV would be fine most years, I just don't fish around there as much as I used to.
2/10/15 @ 11:02 AM
luckyfish
User since 1/19/14
we took couple sleds up to whitefish lake in Canada few years ago and ran into area where there was water under snow. needless to say we got stuck, tracks froze up with slush. Had to lift up rear end and start engine to get the track free from ice. took awhile - thought was going to have a heart attack. there was to much snow for atv. truck travel was limited. fishing was good
2/3/15 @ 10:21 PM
Gobs O Fishguts
User since 2/3/15
I used to think wheeler was the only way to go....until last year. I was shut out of a number of spots due to snow depth / slush and lack of trails to those spots - early in the season. So this year I got into a used sled. Great fun when fish aren't biting, less maintenance than 4 wheeler. But be sure you have a good back. Snowmobiles don't roll too well for load / offload and you have to find a place to keep them in the summer of course.
2/3/15 @ 5:45 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
I went with the ATV for icefishing. Great machine for out on the ice,& can use it year round.
Snowmobile or 4 wheeler? photo by fishhook
2/3/15 @ 1:33 PM
FVLuke
User since 8/31/12
I my self have been having the same mental argument in my head. I have used both. If you get a old sled make sure it has a Studded track and my opinion based on my rig is reverse and electric start. If you go with a 4 wheeler a 4x4 is a must!! I feel you can find a less expensive 4-wheeler if you down size the cc's and be happy with the power for any lake. For me the resale factor is also a deciding factor the wheeler can sell for the same price all year where as the sled is winter only. Last factor or interest, If you spend the same money on a sled you are set up to hang out with your buddies on the trails and have a new hobby as well.. My sledding buds are all super cool and thus I may go with a sled ,but if it was just to get on and off bago with my life I would go 4 wheeler.
2/3/15 @ 11:46 AM
bigstorm
User since 1/10/05
I went with a used ATV last year and havent second guessed myself yet. I havent had it stuck yet and in southern WI there isnt normally as much snow on the lakes as there is way up north. Sure, we'll get big snowstorm once ina while, but within a week or so, the snow has settle/packed down and been blown off most of the lake.
2/3/15 @ 10:31 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
I can't plow my driveway with a sled. I have only had a problem with my 500 Polaris atv getting around in deep snow/slush twice. Both times it was up on Sturgeon Bay. If you fish south of Green Bay I think the ATV would serve you well. If you go up north where the snow on the ice is regularly over 2 feet..... sled. Mrt.
2/3/15 @ 7:22 AM
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01
what can I say
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE