Snowmobile or 4 wheeler?

1/31/15 @ 8:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
git-da-net
git-da-net
USER since 4/12/07
What do you prefer to have as your ice fishing vehicle. I want to get set up so I do not have to drive my truck out, but I cannot decide which I would rather have. Besides the obvious of having the wheeler in all seasons which is a definite plus. I can find a old sled for much cheaper, but I think that i would have a ton more maintenance and repairs on an old sled. What is your preference and why? Lets see some of your rigs!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
3/13/15 @ 4:34 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Ford / Chevy Question...

Both will work for ice fishing. Snowmobile works better in deeper snow. Trail riding snowmobiles is a bunch of fun, but you can't plow your driveway with one, or pull a trailer, or drive it in the Fall.

No right or wrong answer, just depends on what you do more of. For me, it's snowmobiles. They get me out on the ice, and my kids and I have a great time on the trails.

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 2:20 PM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
Wheeler for the mostly year round use, but a sled is handy to have when the snow gets deep and if you can find one of the handful of those reliable older sleds made for the ice fisherman at a good price, you almost need it. You have to fish enough to justify it, but if you live on the ice, nothing better than a good atv and that old reliable sled for the month you need it.

Post Your Comment
3/12/15 @ 11:28 AM
j_shoe99
j_shoe99
USER since 2/20/13
I just picked up an older 2up fan cooled sled for ice fishing, for dirt cheap. 2up is good for 2 people. fan cooled for reliability. I'll likely add studs to it for next year.

I'm still holding out for a deal on a 4wheeler from my buddy, so I might end up with both by next year. ;)

One thing I quickly learned, is that the snowmobile doesn't have as many CARGO CARRYING options as a 4wheeler. I'm curious to see how guys setup their sleds to haul augers/buckets/shacks/etc.

Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 5:28 PM
git-da-net
git-da-net
USER since 4/12/07
I ended up getting 2 snowmobiles. The price was right. Eventually I will get an atv just for the usefulness at home. Would like to set one up with a gps mounted to the sled.Any input on models I should look at?

Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 9:36 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I just sold my sled on plans to get a atv. My reason was because the lakes I fish never seem to have much snow on them expecially early in the year and I don't trail ride. Now if you go up north a lot I would hands down get a sled. Another option may be a sled like the arctic cat bearcat. It's a fan cooled utility sled so you don't need as much snow on the lake just enough snow spots to keep the hyfax wet. This could be accomplished just by putting studs on it or just hitting the few snow spots out there. but once again you need some snow so if you mainly fish small lakes then no snow means you could just walk it. I fish the bago chain so no snow means I have a LONG walk. I am also very sick of shoveling/snow blowing my big driveway so my atv will have a plow.

Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 4:41 PM
Beer Goggles
Beer Goggles
USER since 12/28/07
Atv comes in handy around the house. I use mine to plow the driveway and do chores in summer and winter. Now that I got a big yard in da country, i ride mine around the property like i am the foreman on sum job site! Haahaa! Now i need a can holder for it

Post Your Comment
2/11/15 @ 10:50 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
Still only using the rear chains for bago or poygan have not seen a need to put the fronts on. If I lived up north say Vilas county the wheeler would be in the garage. Was up there end of January and the wheeler was almost useless in the slush and deep snow.

Post Your Comment
2/11/15 @ 7:37 AM
Vipersdad
Vipersdad
USER since 12/24/01
Any advice on ATV chains??? All 4, rear only, not at all?

Thanks,

V.

Post Your Comment
2/10/15 @ 11:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I have an ATV now and in northern WI I can't even use it for ice fishing many times as the snow is too deep. Sure down a snowmobile trail on a lake works, but once you get off of that there can be issues. I don't use it much during the rest of the year to warrant having it. Thinking about selling and buying a sled, I'd use one much more in my area.

Now back near my house an ATV would be fine most years, I just don't fish around there as much as I used to.

Post Your Comment
2/10/15 @ 10:02 AM
luckyfish
luckyfish
USER since 1/19/14
we took couple sleds up to whitefish lake in Canada few years ago and ran into area where there was water under snow. needless to say we got stuck, tracks froze up with slush. Had to lift up rear end and start engine to get the track free from ice. took awhile - thought was going to have a heart attack. there was to much snow for atv. truck travel was limited. fishing was good

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts