Slow season so far...

2/3/16 @ 3:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JigDipper
JigDipper
USER since 12/19/14
How has your ice fishing been so far this season? I have noticed on the lakes there doesn't seem to be very heavy action. I just like getting on the ice, though. So, how has ice fishing been for you so far this year?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
2/5/16 @ 7:14 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
USER since 12/19/14
Totally agree with getting on the move. Very few times when I have sat in one spot this year have I managed a good day. Have to be willing to go get them, thats for sure.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 3:55 PM
Hika Jupa
Hika Jupa
USER since 5/6/09
Lakeshiner is right right right. Perseverance is critical sometimes. You can almost always find fish, it's just a matter of how long it will take. My success doesn't change much from year to year, I fish many different lakes, some I know better than others. Now moving around a lot isn't for everyone. Physical ability, having youngsters along, etc might keep you more grounded and more dependent on luck. Not having a good power augur or sonar unit will greatly limit your panfish success many times as well. I usually fish alone or with one or two other adults who are also willing to search until they find fish. I can't imagine fishing without a Vexilar anymore... Even for setting tip-ups it will help you find weed edges, drop-offs much easier than clipping a depthfinder to a hook. Anyway I've had a typical catch so far, nothing to complain about!

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 1:00 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I've had one evening where I only caught 2 walleye otherwise it's been pretty good for me. Pike fishing has been good too. Biggest of the season is 32".

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 11:57 AM
crits
crits
USER since 1/19/12
Fish police has made people less likely to post their good days. I've had some good success this year however on the three lakes I fish in North East Wisconsin/ Winnebago area.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 9:16 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I don't have too many slow days and I don't notice a difference from year to year if I'm being perfectly honest. Granted I'm in northern WI and have lake after lake to fish on. There are some lakes that seem to just not produce much until late ice. If a lake does not produce and is slow I move on to a different lake. Once I find spots they seem to produce year after year at the same time. I always take pictures of fish so I can look at the dates. I also hole hop much more than other people, I will start out by punching 20 holes and try them (less ice is great in my eyes). If no fish I move on. I don't waste more than 30 seconds in a hole without a mark on the vexilar. If they are there they will at least swim up to look at the jig. I don't even put in tip ups until I catch a few fish jigging and know they are in the area. Easier to punch a few holes, jig them quick and if nothing, move on. I see many guys just sit in one place catching nothing quite often. I call them 'settlers', which I took from the DirectTv commercial. Tounge Out

Case in point, last weekend 3 of us got 75 perch and 2 guys fishing with us who basically sat in one place and did not move much got 12 total. We moved to stay on the fish, they didn't. We threw quite a few back too. Since I have started hole hopping more I have had mostly good days. Its amazing how at times one of us can be catching them one after another but another guy 15' away doesn't mark a fish. Have to find that hot hole!

The worst is when a settler comes up to ask how we are doing and they say they have 3 fish and we have gotten a few 100. I usually say its slow too LOL. Have to move to find them and stay on them. Good exercise too.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 1:00 AM
kabeer
kabeer
USER since 12/8/05
As a SE Wisconsinite, slow. I think a lot of my honey holes for ice fishing have just been pounded to the point where they are just not going to produce like they have. I have myself to blame ofc, because I am a "meat fisherman." I've been telling guys I know we need a few years of warmer weather and a shorter season just so the lakes can recover.

On the brighter side, some lakes are doing much better than others. And I have caught more keeper Perch this year than ever before.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 7:16 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I simply haven't been out enough. Normally by the end of December im out a dozen times. This year obviously not. But my few times have been enjoyable and good 'learning' experiences.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 7:09 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
I dont know where yiu guys are fishing, but down in SE Wi we are catching fish like crazy. Fish are definately not where they normally are at this time of the year. Several lakes Im fishing still have a "first ice" type bite. More shallow than out in the basin. The panfish also seem to want much larger lures than they normally do in Feburary. Been catchin a lot on Northland spoons with trebble hooks

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 5:13 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
USER since 12/19/14
I agree perch chaser. All this available info can hammer an area very quickly.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 2:49 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
It was ok until the warm temps moved back in causing the ice to become unsafe again down by me. I'm not the diehard person that likes ice fishing on 2" of ice or using a ladder to get from shore to safe ice. I hope it cools off again so I can get back out.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts